She is fine but looks like got virus of pox....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by yukogaku, Jan 26, 2017.

1. yukogaku

yukogaku New Egg

Jan 26, 2017
    Her comb is not clear colour and looks shrinking. And I found some pox today.
    Other chickens are all fine. Should I separate her from other chickens?
    Should I bring her vet?[​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. You may get the best advice posting on the ER forum - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/10

Personally, I would not worry about it too much, unless you see it spreading to the rest of the wattles / comb (in terms of it being fowl pox). It could be an infected insect bite, or an infection from a small cut. If it is fowl pox, there's not too much a vet a could do, since its a virus.

I'll let the ER experts provide further advice.

best wishes
    CT

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Welcome!!!!!

Always separated a chicken from the rest of the others when an illness is present. Go to the thread suggested...good luck with your bird. :)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may want to put "fowl pox" in the searchbox - there are two kinds wet & dry. Information coming up may help you decide. Do separate her from the others unless they are showing signs as well.

5. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You've already received some good advice so I'll just say hello and thanks for joining us!

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us but sorry it is under these circumstances. [​IMG] Hope you find out what it is. Best wishes!

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under yukogaku [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some great advice, I will just add that I hope that your hen is OK.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by