She is going to die soon if she doesn't eat soon

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mavrik, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Mavrik

Mavrik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    I'm lost to what the problem is. She has nearly no breast. She can barely get over a 2x6. Her digestion system is flowing, her poops look OK and crop is empty in the morning. I treated with Wazine 17 (only good for round worms) and later antibiotics (just for a lost on things to try). I have to play games with her to eat anything, if she eats at all. I have no vet here. She does this nose/head scratch thing occasionally (don't know if this is important or not).

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    How old? How many chickens do you have? Are any chickens in your flock come to you already hatched?

I am currently investigating chickens that have wasted away on me, one at a time , over the past 2 years.

I'm waiting to send one to the state for a necropsy.

In the meantime, treat for coccidiosis asap.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

If you have a syringe drawl up a mix of 1/2 water to half poultry vitamin. Inject about 2-3 cc under loose skin where neck and back meet. This will help get something in her. If you can find a large syringe with a pencil eraser wide tip or a little smaller (60 mm), and some soft flexable clear tubing you can try and tube feed her. Buy baby parrot feeding formula(Exact) or take very finely ground chick starter or pheasant grower and mix with a lot of water and vitamins. Fill type with the wet mash. Put a tube about 8 inches long on the end of a syringe. Open the chickens mouth, you will see a hole right behind it's tongue.......... STAY AWAY FROM THAT HOLE that goes to the lungs. The bigger hole behind that is the throat that leads to the crop. Use a flash light if needed and hold tongue and bottom beak with thumb and pointy finger. You may need someone else to hold bird in a towel. Insert tube down that hole, it should slip easy in and down, you will see tube push on skin and follow it down to croup. When it looks like you are in the croup, push the mash in from the syringe. Pull tube out quickly when done.

4. Mavrik

Jun 15, 2011
    She is 3+ years old. What do you treat coccidiosis with?

I have done the force feeding, she won't eat on her own unless I play eating games.

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I would say coccidia would not be my first thought as her problem, as with her age she should be more immune to it unless you have brought in new birds. Worming with Safeguard for other types of worms and treating her crop problem would be my first step.

6. Mavrik

Jun 15, 2011
    I have a new crew of chicks, 8 weeks old, but this started before their introduction to the coop and the brooder was separated from the coop.

I did use Wazine 17, Safeguard does more than round worms?

What is the dose for Safeguard? Being for dogs, I see I can just pick this up.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by