She is gone

ChickenLord33

Songster
Nov 5, 2020
I lost my favorite and most trusted chicken yesterday morning. I am so heartbroken...she was the leader of the pack, all the other chickens learned from her and trusted her like she trusted me. Always running to me when I called her and following me around. They were out too early yesterday morning because I didn't close the exit of their run the night before and they came out of their solar door from the coop at the crack of dawn to free-range outside of their run. I usually close the run so they don't get out too early, but I've also allowed this to happen many times in the past with no issues. Huge mistake.

I was taking my morning bathroom break and heard a commotion around 8AM. I quickly looked through the window and saw feathers and a coyote running off. I ran outside and the coyote was nowhere to be seen. All that remained were the last feathers I'd ever see of my girl. My sweetest chicken is gone, I never thought I could feel so sad for a chicken but every time I think of my girls she is always the first to appear in my mind. She meant so much to me and I am crushed. When I fed them today her best friend wouldn't even come off the roost, mouth open and in a daze. She won't even eat her favorite snacks out of my hand. They are so quiet when I visit and I miss the specific song my favorite bird would make every time I visited.

I had to share here just because I think at least someone would understand. I'm a grown ass man...treasure your birdies. I'm so sad and so are they. The worst feeling is that she trusted me, and because she trusted me she is now gone, it hurts so much. She is the bird in my avatar, I love you Golden. 🤧😪 We have 8 young chickies to introduce soon, so I will have to raise them in her honor and give them all her love. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
I lost my favorite and most trusted chicken yesterday morning. I am so heartbroken...she was the leader of the pack, all the other chickens learned from her and trusted her like she trusted me. Always running to me when I called her and following me around. They were out too early yesterday morning because I didn't close the exit of their run the night before and they came out of their solar door from the coop at the crack of dawn to free-range outside of their run. I usually close the run so they don't get out too early, but I've also allowed this to happen many times in the past with no issues. Huge mistake.

I was taking my morning bathroom break and heard a commotion around 8AM. I quickly looked through the window and saw feathers and a coyote running off. I ran outside and the coyote was nowhere to be seen. All that remained were the last feathers I'd ever see of my girl. My sweetest chicken is gone, I never thought I could feel so sad for a chicken but every time I think of my girls she is always the first to appear in my mind. She meant so much to me and I am crushed. When I fed them today her best friend wouldn't even come off the roost, mouth open and in a daze. She won't even eat her favorite snacks out of my hand. They are so quiet when I visit and I miss the specific song my favorite bird would make every time I visited.

I had to share here just because I think at least someone would understand. I'm a grown ass man...treasure your birdies. I'm so sad and so are they. The worst feeling is that she trusted me, and because she trusted me she is now gone, it hurts so much. She is the bird in my avatar, I love you Golden. 🤧😪 We have 8 young chickies to introduce soon, so I will have to raise them in her honor and give them all her love. Thanks for reading.
I’m very sorry for your loss, she is in heaven with my best Plymouth Rock hen Henrietta, who was ravaged by a weasel, who climbed up on an old dog cage I had sitting under the roost. I’ll never forgive myself. Peace to you.....:hugs

I am so sorry.
I had a prized Lavender Orphington Rooster, named him Zachary. He was the nicest, most loving rooster you could ever ask for to protect your flock. He cared for a blind hen, going out of his way to lead her to the food and water, making his hen clucks so she would follow.
He accepted new birds and chicks so easy, he'd start those friendly clucks and immediately lead them to the food.
He was docile around me and children, he'd eat right out of your hand, but not without calling all the hens first.
A pack of coyotes invaded the property at 3pm while I was doing yard work and snatched up him and 4 other chickens while I shouted and chased after them.

I've never been so devastated, I felt like i lost a family member. I know how you feel and I hope you heal soon. The chicken no longer feels pain, she is at peace. I'm sending you virtual hugs :hugs

So sorry for your loss. I can feel your pain. I had a very special bird. I let her out and then got distracted. I didn't think much of it because nothing had ever happened. She was dust bathing in the garden when I last saw her. I called her and she didn't come which was very unusual. She would always come when called. I got concerned and went looking for her. I did find feathers but never found her. I saw a fox on my game camera. I cried like a baby. I was so mad at myself (still am) that I didn't put her back in her pen while I was distracted. I have never had a bird like her and probably won't ever again. From that point on the birds haven't been let out of their nice large pens. The fox then started appearing on my cameras. I'm sure it was the same fox that killed Gladys. I caught it and put it out of my misery. I do see fox on my cameras but mostly at night. As long as they don't mess with my birds I don't mess with them. I do have electric wires around my coops and pens, concrete under the gates and good heavy duty netting covering all of the pens. Good luck...
Gladys, she was 3 years old when the fox got her. She loved to be held and liked to ride on the tractor with me. She would sit on my lap like she was driving. I miss her so.
IMG_20170104_172023.jpg

I’m very sorry for your loss, she is in heaven with my best Plymouth Rock hen Henrietta, who was ravaged by a weasel, who climbed up on an old dog cage I had sitting under the roost. I’ll never forgive myself. Peace to you.....:hugs

I am so sorry.
I had a prized Lavender Orphington Rooster, named him Zachary. He was the nicest, most loving rooster you could ever ask for to protect your flock. He cared for a blind hen, going out of his way to lead her to the food and water, making his hen clucks so she would follow.
He accepted new birds and chicks so easy, he'd start those friendly clucks and immediately lead them to the food.
He was docile around me and children, he'd eat right out of your hand, but not without calling all the hens first.
A pack of coyotes invaded the property at 3pm while I was doing yard work and snatched up him and 4 other chickens while I shouted and chased after them.

I've never been so devastated, I felt like i lost a family member. I know how you feel and I hope you heal soon. The chicken no longer feels pain, she is at peace. I'm sending you virtual hugs :hugs

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sure she will be going to chicken-heaven.
Xxxx
PippinTheChicken and flock

So sorry for your loss. I can feel your pain. I had a very special bird. I let her out and then got distracted. I didn't think much of it because nothing had ever happened. She was dust bathing in the garden when I last saw her. I called her and she didn't come which was very unusual. She would always come when called. I got concerned and went looking for her. I did find feathers but never found her. I saw a fox on my game camera. I cried like a baby. I was so mad at myself (still am) that I didn't put her back in her pen while I was distracted. I have never had a bird like her and probably won't ever again. From that point on the birds haven't been let out of their nice large pens. The fox then started appearing on my cameras. I'm sure it was the same fox that killed Gladys. I caught it and put it out of my misery. I do see fox on my cameras but mostly at night. As long as they don't mess with my birds I don't mess with them. I do have electric wires around my coops and pens, concrete under the gates and good heavy duty netting covering all of the pens. Good luck...
Gladys, she was 3 years old when the fox got her. She loved to be held and liked to ride on the tractor with me. She would sit on my lap like she was driving. I miss her so.
View attachment 2692501
Thank you everybody...your words and experiences help a lot more than I could have expected. I cried like a baby too, but now I'm glad I wasn't the only one. I guess we've got to learn from these unfortunate events and be sure to love our other chickens that are still with us. I wish you all the best and my heart goes out to all our innocent "babies" who left us too early. Thank you guys, and I am sorry for your losses too. Stay vigilant, these birds are so special. 🐔❤️

I am sorry you lost her.

All kinds of predators love to feast on chicken, and somehow it seems as if it would always be the favourites.

Back
Top Bottom