she is laying her egg at 6pm?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sheeshshe, Oct 8, 2009.

1. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    is that not weird or what? its like almost dark outside and she's sitting in her nest working on her egg!

I guess I didn't think chickens would lay their eggs this late in the day!

2. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    I have a RIR that started doing this recently. I figured it's because it's cooling down and the days are shorter. Maybe she's becoming an owl.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I've seen my hens on the nest late in the day from time to time. I wait for them to finish and move them to the roost before I lock the coop up for the night.

4. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    I thought for sure she was skipping a day for the first time... she just started laying last friday... so today is egg 7! THought it was really odd at 6ish her sitting in her nest!

5. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I have a RIR that lays between 5-7 every day.. I let them out to roam at that time and she always ends up rushing back to the coop and lays her egg... I had always thought chickens laid their eggs early in the morning....I found out that mine lay from 7am to 7 pm -most being laid around noon....GO figure..

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    My Welsummers always layed their eggs in the evening time. Don't know why, but that's what they did. [​IMG]

7. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Mine seem to lay either late morning or early afternoon.

8. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    this is so neat! lots of these hens laying in the evening [​IMG]

9. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

my duck lays at about 8 pm then goes to sleep , and 3 of my hens lay really late , like around 9-10 pm

10. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    My AO tends to lay her eggs in the evening. Most mornings there is an egg in her nest. My neighbors seem to lay at night too. When I go out to make sure everybody is tucked in I can hear the neighbors hen announcing her egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by