She is not Feeling Good this morning!

henney

Songster
11 Years
Aug 9, 2008
Reno Nevada
She is all puffed up and stands in one place hunched over with runny poop this morning. She was fine yesterday.
Is their anything I can give her to make her feel better? If she is egg bound do I go in vent with vaseline to lubricate and hope she can push the egg out?
Thanks

if she is egg bound you will want to give her calcium and give her a warm bath gently massaging her abdomen. try using a lube not vasoliene but a human lube like ky jelly. non greasy and gently and carefully insert your finger in the vent to see if you can feel the egg taking care not to break it. you can try and put the lube into the area along with her warm bath and massage and hopefully she will be able to pass the egg. mine was egg bound two days ago and luckily she was able to pass it. my birds symptoms were she was huddled up in a corner head down ruffled and mine was mouth breathing. you can also look at the tail bobbing up and down as she is straining. I hope this helps and wish you the best! hope she feels better soon and hope she can pass the egg! good luck

I think we need a little more information.
How old is she and how long has she been laying?
When did she last lay an egg, did it look normal?
Standing on one leg, by itself, isn't abnormal. Did you look at her feet for injuries? Nor is runny poop unless it's constant.

If you think she's egg bound, before probing, try setting her in warm water for 15-20 minutes to relax her muscles. They will sometimes lay the egg that way. Be sure to dry her feathers before letting her go outside again. You can use a hair dryer, or let her air dry if you have a warm place to keep her.

I think Olive oil or ky type lubricant would be better than vaseline, when probing.

She is 8mths old. She is looking normal, no signs of injuries, she was fine when they roosted last night. She is setting in the nest box now so will see if she lays this morning. Her egg was normal yesterday.
Thanks

Penney layed her egg yesterday. The shell was soft, I guess she hasn't been eating the Calcium I've been leaving out. The other girls eggs are fine. Thank you for all yor help!

Back
Top Bottom