She is standing up!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CackleFan, Jan 26, 2009.

1. CackleFan

CackleFan Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I noticed #11 BR can't stand up this morning. She was lying in the middle of the coop while other hens pecked on her. I tried to push her but she fell righ away. I knew instantly something was wrong because last night was in single digit and I didn't put my small portable heater in the coop. So I picked her up and her feet were ice-cold. I took her indoors and put her in a large recycle bin with shaving in the bottom. I gave her mashed feed mixed with warm water and she ete like crazy, however, still can't stand up. I told myself as long as she eats then she should be OK. I had to leave her alone to go to work, so I turned the radio on so she can hear some nice music. I checked on her during the lunch break. Guess what, she is standing up and walking in my dinning room like nothing happen! I feel like I just save a life! I touched her feet and they are warm now. I took her back to the coop to let her join her sisters and she is happy and walking, eating, pecking......of course, I put the heater in the coop now...[​IMG]

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    That's great!! Ya dun gud! [​IMG]

3. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    That is a great job you did to save her!
    Makes it all worthwhile having these darn chickens doesn't it?[​IMG]

4. Chicken Cluck

Chicken Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    yay! good job saving a freezing chicken

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by