She is still squashing chicks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by oesdog, Sep 21, 2010.

1. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Just thought I would share this photo of Bertha -
    I was told that once she had her babies she would have them for about 6-8 weeks and then would forget about them and want to go back to her friends.
    I was told that by the time her chicks were 10/11 weeks old she would be laying again.
    So at 8 weeks I took Bertha and I put her in the big coop with her friends. She cried I mean sobbed for 3 days it was pitiful. I felt awful as I never heard a hen cry like that before. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh What to do??????????????? I gave up and gave them back to her.

Now when they got to 16 /17 weeks I thought oh good the chicks are big now - the older hens wont pick on them I will put them all back in the big girl coop.

This is what is happening!!!!!!!! She is still trying to get on top of them at night and it is sooooo funny to see her hurding the chicks into a pile so she can ballance on the top of them and squish them!!!! She is never going to stop is she?????????????????? There are 4 chicks somewhere under her and if you look closely you can see some beaks pocking out. They are nearly as big as she is now - but she is still Mom!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oesdog - [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Dagmarvelous

Dagmarvelous Chillin' With My Peeps

That is the funniest thing I've seen in a while!!

Well, once a mom, always a mom. I still love to cuddle with my two grown boys!!

3. Crack N' Egg

Crack N' Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Flemington, NJ
    That is just flippin adorable!!! [​IMG]

I'm about to separate my 2 silkie moms from their 11 wk olds. I hope it goes smoother for me! [​IMG]

4. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    What kind of chicken is Bertha? She's very pretty.

I use to have a Silkie hen that would still let her older chicks sleep "under" her at night while she was broody on the next batch of eggs. [​IMG]

5. Princess Poppycock

Princess Poppycock Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    That's adorable!!!!! [​IMG]

6. Yazzo

Yazzo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    All I can say, is that you have one awesome hen there! [​IMG]
    My young hens just take care of the chicks for only about a month, then leave them and even peck them....the stupidheads. [​IMG] [​IMG]

She's a Sussex right?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  7. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Yeah she is a sussex

My Beautiful Bertha.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just love her but she isn;t going to stop mummying the babies anytime soon!!!!!! Only thing is Bertha hasn;t laid her own eggs in a very long time. None of the babies are actually hers. I just keep her because she is lovely and a good broody but she doesn;t lay now once in a blue moon sadly! Oh I was going to say when our other broody hen died suddenly leaving eggs Bertha took them she was sitting 15 eggs + we had to take some away. But she could comfortably sit a huge amount as she is a big girl when in good condition!

Oesdog

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  8. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    What a good momma! I have a sussex too and she is the sweetest thing!

9. Crack N' Egg

Crack N' Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Flemington, NJ
    She is gorgeous!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by