She is suppose to be a light Brahama!!! And is she a she....

Mrsfoote

Songster
9 Years
Jul 19, 2010
Laurel Montana
So this is my light brahma hen Lucy...she is 19 weeks and I want to know why she has so much black compared to the other light brahmas I see or do you think she is mixed got her at Shiptons in April and she is a she right.....Thats my dear son in the back Lucy wasn't thrilled to be interupted from free ranging for a photo shoot she is quite a sassy sh!t talker lol always has something to say.

020.jpg

019.jpg

016.jpg
telling me her opinion

015.jpg

002.jpg
Lucy 2 weeks ago

chicken005.jpg
2 weeks ago

Last edited:
She's (he's) a light brahma, just not well marked. Some of the hatchery quality ones have way to much black on them. I agree with rodriguez, looks like a cockerel.
hmm.png

But she's never crowed and taken FOREVER to get what little pea comb and wattles she has litteraly FOREVER and they are just starting to get pinky orange and she's always in the nest box also she doesn't have a "cape" is that what its called there are just those obvious pointed ones then her feathers are rounded.

Last edited:
He is still very young. Males often have more darker points than females in the Light and Buff Brahmas. The pointed feathers will come. Brahmas are fairly slow to mature (yes, even hatchery stock) and will take longer to show their sexual differences.

His lack of a tail also points to cockerel as the males feather in even slower than females.

I think she is a pullet. If it were a roo it would have much more defined pointed saddle feathers and the cape would be full of them. There are no pointed feathers in the cape of your bird at all as far as I can see.

As for the markings....whew...for a light brahma, it has a lot of dark coloring in the breast area. Even for a hatchery bird, that is way off. It looks like a cross breed to me.

I don't really care about her coloring so much...I love her reguardless I just wanted to know is she is well a she...I've been arguing the same thing Lbrad7 about saddle feathers she doesn't have much of them just those few on her neck then they are all rounded from there on out her tail is like half curled half straight she honks but she doesn't crow she doesn't mount her face is pinky not bright red i know they say she will take longer to mature but wouldn't she look more rooish at 19 weeks...i dunno *throws hands up* I just can't keep her if she is a roo....and of course the one confirmed pullet i have is my sister in laws chicken who i HATE

Back
Top Bottom