She just died and I feel so guilty

Zenzenhen22

In the Brooder
Nov 10, 2021
My absolute favourite hen was killed today by my dog. I put the chickens away, but didn't count them, they're usually so good about all going into the run and it looked like the right amount were in there. I let my young dog out and I was really tired so I went to sit on the couch and chill. I heard the rooster alarm calling, but I ignored it, he does it often anyway. I got up and saw my dog was dragging my favourite girl. I ran out in hysterics, I hoped it was the other barred rock who looks identical. But it wasn't, it was my favourite girl. At first I thought I could save her, but she died only a little while after I put her down to rest. I'm so broken up about it, its all my fault and I can't get the sight of my dog dragging her out of my head. I should have been more careful but now she's gone and it's all my fault. I failed her and now I won't get to see her or have her hop up on me or follow me wherever I go.

Sorry for your loss! I haven’t had to experience that yet myself knock on wood. I know it’s hard to see past it right now but you should try to focus on the good, that you gave her the best possible life she could have had while she was here. Keep your head up and I’m sure you will bond with another closely some day!

1662387589469.png

My absolute favourite hen was killed today by my dog. I put the chickens away, but didn't count them, they're usually so good about all going into the run and it looked like the right amount were in there. I let my young dog out and I was really tired so I went to sit on the couch and chill. I heard the rooster alarm calling, but I ignored it, he does it often anyway. I got up and saw my dog was dragging my favourite girl. I ran out in hysterics, I hoped it was the other barred rock who looks identical. But it wasn't, it was my favourite girl. At first I thought I could save her, but she died only a little while after I put her down to rest. I'm so broken up about it, its all my fault and I can't get the sight of my dog dragging her out of my head. I should have been more careful but now she's gone and it's all my fault. I failed her and now I won't get to see her or have her hop up on me or follow me wherever I go.
hey i have been here its not a fun place but just think of all the good times you had
think about how lucky you were to have that time spent with her
thats the only way to make it through the feelings and trust me i got 5-7 birds killed because of something i did (no they were not my favorite) but i still loved them
my favorite chicken of my life died a few weeks ago so i know how bad this is.

so sorry :hugs 😥

I understand the feeling entirely. I had a drake last winter that was close to my heart. Usually they are all in by the time I close everything up. So I didn't think to count the ducks. Next morning, I woke and was told my favorite duck was outside frozen stiff all night in the middle of winter. I balled my eyes out, and still do when ever I see pics of him.

While mine was a duck, the hurt is still the same.

Accidents happen, no use beating yourself up over it. My dog would kill mine if he got the chance. Some dogs are easier to train than others, some are impossible to train.Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom