She just dropped dead

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shelleylouise85, Mar 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Shelleylouise85

Shelleylouise85 Hatching

Mar 19, 2019
    Hello everyone

I am looking for advice I think!

My poor little Pru has just dropped dead. One minute she was fine and the next minute dead in the run. She lived with a cockerel and he is now alone. I can see no signs of illness on Pru and she was perfectly happy and seemed healthy until today. Is my boy at risk? What can I do to check him over?! I’m paranoid now I’m going to find him in the same way tomorrow morning when I let him out. Any advice would be great, I have hatched these two from eggs with my children and so we are devastated to loose one. She was only just a year.

Thank you
    Shelley

staceyj likes this.
  2. Ryder

Ryder Songster

Oct 16, 2018
    Ozark Missouri
    I have had that happen too but most chickens that drop dead out of nowhere that I have is from the rooster mating and when he is mounting the female I have many many roosters step off of her and like snap her neck

But this is just my guess

3. A_Fowl_Guy

A_Fowl_Guy Pig Whisperer

May 4, 2014
    Newberry, Indiana
    Could be loads of things like a heart attack or fatty liver disease. What do you feed?

staceyj likes this.
  4. Trux

Trux Crowing

Mar 26, 2018
    SoSoCal
    If it was that sudden and she was acting normal before it happened, I would guess heart failure. It happens. Sorry for your loss

A_Fowl_Guy likes this.
  5. Ms Clucky

Ms Clucky Songster

Jan 22, 2019
    Salem, Illinois
    My Peep did that. But he had an injury to his legs when he was small. Maybe he injured something internally. I just found him dead in his cage. You might want to check inside. I hate to say that, I really do. If you can't do it, maybe vet help is an option. 0103171301-01.jpg

6. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
    :hugsMany hugs to you and your family. It is ALWAYS hard.

You might consider sending her to you local state lab. Some states perform this service for a very reasonable price. Others require a referral from a veterinarian.
    You can refrigerate her remains while you research and decide. Don’t freeze.

A home necropsy take resolve and an intense desire to know “why” but may bring you peace and can sometimes provide a fast answer.

I lost one like that. It was devastating. A home necropsy revealed fatty liver disease. One minute she was out and about, having fun and being silly, then she went in the coop to lay her egg and dropped dead stepping out of the nest.

I knew that I “had to know” or I’d be on pins and needles with the rest of my little flock forever.

Whatever you decide, funeral or more, we are sorry for your loss and support you.

For the immediate care of your rooster. Some birds find companionship in a stuffed animal or a mirror (although I’m not sure if a roo would take that as a threat).
    Hopefully someone else can answer that question.
    Chickens are flock animals, so he will be needing a friend or two or three.

bruceha2000 and A_Fowl_Guy like this.
  7. cleoandtheflock

cleoandtheflock Songster

Jan 16, 2019
    Georgia
    Do you have any pictures of her or the roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: