She keeps pulling tail feathers ???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Farmlife4me, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Farmlife4me

Farmlife4me Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2009
    Old Town, Florida
    I have a buff silkie hen that keeps plucking the tail feathers out of my other roosters and the feathers around the hens bottoms ? She has nearly plucked every one off my Buff Japanese roosters tail feathers ( he only has 3 longs one left ) Can anybody tell why or what I should do ? Thank you [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  2. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Thats a bizzare one. Isolate her! If it was up to me, I'd get rid of her and replace her. If you have an emotional attachment to her, turn her into a house chicken...

3. lngrid

lngrid Chillin' With My Peeps

I've heard people here suggest increasing the protein in the pecking hen's diet. They've mentioned scrambled egg, cooked meat scraps, things like that. Sometimes chickens like that are craving protein, they say. But someone who knows more than me should say so here. I'm just repeating what heard to help me learn it better. I'm a newbie. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  4. Farmlife4me

Farmlife4me Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2009
    Old Town, Florida
    THANKS YA'LL ! i don't have any attachment to her( my girls do [​IMG] ) but i will up her protein . [​IMG] what does the adding yogurt do ? i have heard of that also

5. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Quote:She maybe lacking protein,that's why she's plucking all the others feathers. She's just trying to get what she needs. Will

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by