She laid an egg - while walking!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SewingDiva, Dec 25, 2008.

1. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

The girls were out free ranging for the first time in a few days due to the weather, and I was walking behind our BO when she started to do this funny squat while she was moving. I really thought I had a constipated chicken when all of a sudden an egg dropped to the pavement!

I had no idea till now that eggs are wet when the chicken first lays them.

This may be her very first egg - the shell is two tone, one half is light brown with fine white speckling and the other half is medium brown.

Phyllis

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    My hen did the same thing but her egg was soft. Was yours soft?

3. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    I can still remember my daughter running in telling me she saw a hen lay an egg. It stood up in the egg box to lay it:)

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    [​IMG] [​IMG] that is too funny! someone on here has an avatar that has a two-tone egg in it, I think... Poor girl, she must have been confused...
    Not only are eggs wet, but the color rubs off if you pick them up and rub while they're wet! I've made many eggs have fingerprints of white through brown on them by mistake.

5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Quote:Yes, they do stand up to lay... I've seen eggs laid several times. But usually they'll want a protected place, then run away screaming to draw attention away from the nest.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I don't think they can drop an egg unless they are standing.... but I've never seen one dropped while walking.

7. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:It has a shell but not a very sturdy one and I suspect it might not have a yolk. When I shake it I can't feel the mass of the yolk moving around.

8. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Quote:Yes, they do stand up to lay... I've seen eggs laid several times. But usually they'll want a protected place, then run away screaming to draw attention away from the nest.

If I had to lay a baby every day I'd run screaming too! [​IMG]

9. ChandlersChickens

ChandlersChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Delphos, OH
    That is too weird...I wonder if my Leghorn did that this morning. I found an egg on the back porch and it was cracked of course. So I cooked it and fed it to the chickens. Apparently she doesn't like scrambled eggs.

10. Squeaky

Squeaky I squeak, therefore I am

Jul 5, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM

If I had to lay a baby every day I'd run screaming too! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If I had to lay a baby ever day I couldn't walk, much less run, but I'm with you on the screaming thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by