She laid her egg in my hand!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Jan 9, 2009.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    [​IMG]

I went in to collect eggs this morning and there was a barred rock on the nest. I deliberately reach under them if I catch one on the nest because I want them to get used to me doing that. So I reach under her and there is nothing. But, as I pull my hand away she straightens her legs and looks like she's straining so I put out my hand and

PLOP!

Right in my hand!! [​IMG]

I couldn't believe it! She just looked at me and hopped down while the next lady hopped in as if she was waiting in line! [​IMG]

Three boxes but they wait for that one! Silly girls!

2. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

Too funny [​IMG]

3. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    [​IMG] Cool!

They have there favorite nesting boxes too 2 of them to be exact and we have 8 nesting boxes! Go figure [​IMG]

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    The ultimate compliment? Very helpful kind of girl? [​IMG]
    Put a carton in that nest- see if they will lay in order......pointy end down-

5. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    That's hilarious [​IMG], I'm sure there are not too many who can say that their chicken has laid right in their hand before.

6. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I guess I am lucky that it was an EGG!! [​IMG]

7. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    I have WHAT in my yard? :

Lord, now theres a thought! [​IMG] But really, thats pretty neat, I aint never heard of that before!​

8. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Very cool!
    It's happened to me with my silkies on a few occasions though admittedly, I have been known to wait a minute or 2 for the experience [​IMG]

9. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I have WHAT in my yard? :

Yeah, for sure.

Doncha just love warm eggs? Makes you want to cup them and keep them that way.​

10. WiseChicks

WiseChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Hudson, WI
    Oh, that's neat!

We have several of our big hens that come running to be picked up when they see my son or I. This fall, I had scooped up our big Buff Cochin girl and was scratching her head and under her wings. We hear a "thunk" and looked at each other and said, "Huh? What was that?" Then we both looked down to see the gloppy mess of the broken egg all over my shoe! I set Stella down, and she quickly ate the mess and waddled off to find the rest of her group.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by