She Laid Her First Egg!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wordgirl, Sep 1, 2009.

1. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    I'm soooooo excited! She laid, she actually laid! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Alright – here's the story:

After lunch this afternoon, I went to let the chickens out. I'd kept them late this morning, mainly in the hopes that they would lay an egg. I opened their gate and they all stampeded out of the coop like kids called in for cookies. I watched them shake their tails and stretch out on the ground to bask in the sun. When one of the girls trotted off by herself, Mr. Incredible (our BO cockerel) followed her for a few yards, before stopping and then joining the rest of the flock as they rushed over to some underbrush. I turned and went back into the coop to see if one of the girls had laid an egg. No. The fake egg that had previously been sitting in one of the nest boxes had been kicked all the way into the opposite corner of the coop, and the hay from the nest box was scattered all over the ground. Mmh. I gathered some of the hay from the floor and put in back into the nest box. I retrieved the little yellow plastic egg and returned it to its place.

The coop set back in order, I went out and walked back to the house. I stopped to see if one of the pullets was in the blue shed, as I'd seen one of them pecking in there the day before. I didn't see any chicken, but I heard some scratching and looked around, wondering if it was a chicken or a raccoon. No raccoon. But there was a chicken. Sitting in a hideaway by a couple of the bikes. It was Gertie, one of the Gold Links. I looked closer and [​IMG] THERE WAS AN EGG!

[​IMG]

Isn't it beautiful? I'm so proud of her! After I took it inside to show the rest of the family, I went out to check on her, and I saw her lay another egg! I think the one she was sitting on had been there since at least yesterday. There was a tiny air pocket at the top, and it was cool. The second one is a little rounder, but they're both about the same size. She sang and sang the egg song after laying the second one. Such a proud mama!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  2. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Her eggs are so pretty I'd have kicked the plastic one out too!

3. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    Thanks! Now...how to get her to start laying in the nestbox. [​IMG]

4. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Beeeeeeautiful!

5. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    Congratulations!

Good luck on getting her to lay in the nest box. A couple of my Gold links started laying last week and so far only one of them wasn't in the nesting box. I just have wood shavings with a golf ball in my nesting boxes and it seems to have worked.

6. wyo-helpmeet

wyo-helpmeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    West TN
    AWESOME!! They're good sized eggs!!!

7. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    AWWWWWWW! [​IMG] Congrats on the eggs!

8. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    congrats!! wow those are nice BIG eggs!

9. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    Quote:Yes, they are bigger than I thought they would be. I was worried they'd be teeny-tiny.

10. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    Guess what! This morning when I went to feed them, I left one of the eggs (marked with an X) in one of the next boxes, in the hope that Gertie would accept that as her new nest. And apparently she did! A few minutes ago, my sister went out and found another little brown egg next to the Xed one. Whoohoo! I didn't think she'd catch on that fast! And three eggs in the first few days – that's pretty good for a young pullet like Gertie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by