She laid our flock's first egg today, what is she?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by m.kitchengirl, Nov 9, 2011.

1. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    I am 90% sure this gal laid the first egg today. (Yippee!!!!!!!)
    I have been wondering for a while what she is. Bought her as a chick. Was supposed to be a silver laced Wyandotte. Obviously not... I thought maybe Black Orpington? But, thought I'd turn it over to the experts. The woman I got her from had a vast assortment of chicks, all hardy winter breeds.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry the images are blurry, I can take more today.

This morning's egg. [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

My guess is 'black star' or aka black sexlink.

3. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    no clue what she is just wanted to say congrats on the egg [​IMG] and she's a pretty hen !

4. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I don't see any gold on her.. I'd guess Black Australorp (almost the same as Black Orpington, I believe -- I'm not sure of the difference). She doesn't look big enough to be a Jersey Giant. And congrats on the gorgeous egg! [​IMG]

5. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    Thanks! I was wondering about Australorp as well.
    She is a sweet little lady, that's for sure. No longer sure it was her who laid it, now 3 of them are doing 'the squat". Regardless, she is lovely, and I am on cloud 9 right now.
    Eggs!

6. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    m.kitchengirl :

Thanks! I was wondering about Australorp as well.
    She is a sweet little lady, that's for sure. No longer sure it was her who laid it, now 3 of them are doing 'the squat". Regardless, she is lovely, and I am on cloud 9 right now.
    Eggs!

Aussies are super sweet. [​IMG] And judging by the size and color of her comb and wattles, I'd still assume it is her egg. You can also check her vent -- if it's dry and yellowish then she's not laying, but if it looks wet and moist then she likely is.​

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    on my screen with the way the light is hitting her she looks red not black now the parts of her that are in the shade look black can you get some pics of her out in the full light please

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I am seeing red instead of black as well. She's a very deep mahogany red, which is indicative of a Rhode Island Red. They lay light brown eggs.

9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    Quote:ok at least i know i'm not the only one seeing red. i was also thinking rir

10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I see dark red colouring.. is my monitor going funky?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by