she laid outside of the coop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by peep this, Jul 24, 2010.

1. peep this

peep this Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2010
    one of our four girls laid her first egg today yes she dropped it outside of the coop on the ground in the poring rain we were just wondering will she start laying in the coop now? was she maby just taken by surprise? or is she just a weird idiot of a chicken?

2. palochknldy

palochknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Palo, Iowa
    We had the same thing this morning. One layed a soft shell on the coop floor early this am. Came back out around 9 and there was a very small pointy egg in the pen(thinking it's a newbie and layed it's first egg) and actually had one lay in the nest box. 3 out of 4 isn't bad since they just started laying on Monday. I'm glad this all happened while I'm on vacation since I have been able to hear the egg song. I recorded it on my cell phone, and replayed it and it made the hen start singing again. Love it!!
    The very first egg we got was on the coop floor on Monday and since then, they have used the nest box, except for today. Thinking maybe the storms scared one out of them and that's why it was on the floor under the roost. HA
    The breeder told me they were born around the 2nd week in March, so I'm think I'm lucky to have them laying already!!

3. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Pullets often lay their eggs in random places. They don't know what's happening. Most will settle down as time goes on, and lay their eggs somewhere nestlike. Some never do...

4. Lola12

Lola12 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2010
    My first girl started laying a week ago this past Thursday....it was out in the run. Every one since then has been in a nest box. A second girl started laying a week later, and hers have been in the nest box. Just give her time. Or if she has a hard time "getting" it, maybe one of your others will start laying in the nest box and clue her in!

5. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Found one soft shelled on just inside the coop once... also found one good egg almost to the nest box (opposite the door)... I think maybe the Call of Nature didn't wanna be put on hold. [​IMG]

6. peep this

peep this Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2010
    haha yah thats what we thought when we found it it was a torrential rain storm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by