She lost her drake :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SunnyDayz, Aug 15, 2011.

1. SunnyDayz

SunnyDayz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Sunny FL
    We had a pair of pekins and the drake was taken this morning by a bobcat (scaled the 6 ft chain link fence and carried him right out of their daypen!). I feel aweful [​IMG]
    She is calling for him and seems so sad. I feel responsible... the pen has no top, but I thought 6 ft was high enough! I'll be putting roof/wire over the top asap.

What can I do for her? I am looking for another duck or 2 to buy but what do I do in the meantime?
    Can/should I put her in the chickens? They haven't ranged together since the recent bobcat attacks (we lost our 1st duck and a chicken over a month ago), so I'm not sure how they would get along.
    Help?

*edited to add that she laid her 1st egg this morning too (before the incident).
    [​IMG] Poor baby... she must be tramatized!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  2. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

I would try her with chickens. She needs company and to feel safe! awww sorry to hear. I am pretty surprised too!

3. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    If you can, check locally or on Craigslist for another Drake OR another female (if you want unfertilized eggs) as soon as possible.
    Good luck, and condolences....[​IMG]

4. SunnyDayz

Apr 9, 2010
    Sunny FL
    Thank you.
    I called a few people on CL and waiting to hear back.
    I just brought her a snack (peas) and she did eat them, although she seems so distraught. She keeps looking around and calling [​IMG]
    Will the chickens pick on her? She is bigger than them... I guess I'll just have to try it out to see what happens. Their coop is plenty big enough to add her, but not big enough for her pool.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Put her with the chickens and be on guard. The bobcat will return as it's past actions have shown.

6. SunnyDayz

Apr 9, 2010
    Sunny FL
    Well, we got her a new friend this afternoon... a boy about her age. He is a little smaller than her though. He's in a pen right next to her so they can see each other. The pens that they are in are predator proof, as we had previously used then as night pens. With one duck in each, they have enough room to stay there until I get a secure top on the big pen. Hopefully tomorrow we'll do that.

How long should they be separate?

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    With ducks one on one I doubt that there will be any problem integrating. You probably should have quarantined him somewhere away from her, but hopefully everything will be OK. Good luck at convincing that bobcat that your place is not safe to visit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by