She moved to another nest box.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tallyho, Sep 8, 2010.

1. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    I have a broody on a nest with fertile eggs. She's been there for 2 days. I haven't seen her come out so today when I was passing out the treats I thought I'd get her to come out and have some watermelon and spaghetti, her faves.

She was mad but ate, then went and got some of their regular food. It was getting a little drizzly so I put her back in. She headed for the wrong box. I tried to move her back but she got up and went to the wrong one again. So I moved the eggs to her.

She's sitting there but I don't have much hope. Goofy thing has been sitting in the same box for days and now she moves! I don't need any more chickens, but I want them. If she's not doing her job can I move the eggs to an incubator?

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like she was doing just fine until you decided to help her. Just let her be. She will get up to eat, drink, and eliminate when she feels the need. Broody hens get in sort of a trans when they set, thus the confusion on her part. It`s not nice to fool with mother nature.......Pop

3. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Just posted about a first time broody who was doing the same thing... would leave her eggs to sit on everyone elses' newly layed eggs. She has been doing this the whole last part of the summer. Kept putting her back... her first serious batch didn't make it... she left them too much and too long... but as I was considering throwing away her most recent try, I came home to find 9 little cuties under her! AND she is now being a wonderful mother... by George, I think she's got it!
    Don't own an incubator so I can't speak with any knowledge about that. Good luck.

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:Thank you, I don't know where folks get that they need to meddle in the affairs of broodies. OP I'm sorry but please do some research on broody hens and save yourself some grief, making mistakes. I hate to learn the hard way. I could have saved some chicks if I had known what I know now.

5. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    I just wanted her to not miss out on the goodies:(

6. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:If mine aren't coming out for goodies, then I place a few in the nesting box with her... kinda like breakfast in bed.

7. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by