She needs help fast!

sepaditty1

Songster
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
South Carolina
I have a precious little chick named Cinnamon. She was delivered one week ago today. She was very lively and chirpy and seemed fine. A couple of days later, she had pasty butt. I cleaned her up and noticed that her vent was huge and sticking out. I have been keeping it clean and even though it's still sticking out, she hasn't clogged up again. Cinnamon hasn't grown in the week we've had her. Her little friends have grown quite a bit. She's tiny and not gaining weight, although her feathers are coming in at the same rate as the others'.

Yesterday morning I realized that she wasn't quite as energetic. Not quite lethargic, but noticeably different. Last night, more of the same. My son pointed out that she stands funny. Like her wings are sort of open and hanging down instead of tucked up on the sides like most chickies.

I brought yogurt home for her today. Not organic, and I think it has some sweeteners in it, but it was there. She had no interest. when I set her down, she fell over. She didn't struggle to get up. Just laid there. When I put her up, she stays. But she didn't try to get up on her own.

I haven't noticed any of the Merek's symptoms just based on what I've read. No diarrhea ( I think. You know how baby chick poo is.) She doesn't seem to be stuffy or have runny eyes. She ate a bit of her crumbles earlier. She doesn't really want to drink anything. If I stick her beak in the bowl, she'll swallow a tiny bit.

I got some of the Poly Vi Sol and tried giving that to her. Not sure how much she got, but I put some in her water, too. That was about 20 minutes ago.

Does anyone have an idea of what is going on? What should I be doing?

I'm new to raising chickens so I don't know what to say, I'm sure others will have more insight. When I first got baby chicks, they told me to get extras because baby chicks are fragile and there was a good chance that one or two wouldn't make it :( Not necessarily the case here, I had one RIR that way outgrew her sisters. A week isn't much to tell by. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

You need Corid, (amprolium) it is a Coccidiostat. I think your chick has coccidiosis. Do a search here on byc for coccidiosis and see that you have all the symptom's. even if it doesn't, it wont hurt the chick to administer it.
Corid comes in powder or liquid, and even in pellet form. I think tractor supply has the powder, that would be the fastest way of procuring it.
Steve.

You need Corid, (amprolium) it is a Coccidiostat. I think your chick has coccidiosis. Do a search here on byc for coccidiosis and see that you have all the symptom's. even if it doesn't, it wont hurt the chick to administer it.
Corid comes in powder or liquid, and even in pellet form. I think tractor supply has the powder, that would be the fastest way of procuring it.
Steve.
I think you're right. That is what it sounds like. It sure doesn't look good for little Cinnamon. I went in a minute ago to check her and give her more liquids. She can barely keep her eyes open. I will definitely get Corid and treat the rest of my flock tomorrow. I hope she's still with us then.

Well, Cinnamon didn't make it. I kept her warm and comfortable through the end.

I will get medicine today to treat the rest of my girls. If they aren't infected it wn't hurt themm, will it?

I'm sorry, that's very sad. Raising chicks is a delicate, scary business I guess. I had my chickens on starter feed until they started laying - the feed store said it was medicated to keep away some of the common sicknesses. I think he said salmonella and possibly coccidiosis. Are your chicks on this kind of starter feed?

I'm sorry, that's very sad.  Raising chicks is a delicate, scary business I guess.  I had my chickens on starter feed until they started laying - the feed store said it was medicated to keep away some of the common sicknesses.  I think he said salmonella and possibly coccidiosis.  Are your chicks on this kind of starter feed?
they are. But she also had pasty butt problems earlier in the week. And a protruding vent. Like I said, she just didn't grow.

Back
Top Bottom