She pecks at me

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Booswalia, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Booswalia

Booswalia Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my Delawares pecks at me all the time. Every time I go into the pen she comes running up to me and starts pecking at my sneakers, my jeans, my buttons, my fingernaills and sometimes my fingers.

Is this normal?

2. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    It's normal but also a bad habit. You could give her a little shove whenever she pecks your feet or whatever. If she pecks your hand, tap her on the head. She will get the clue. She will think she's being pecked back by her roo and won't do it any more. After all...you are supposed to be the roo...I mean boss. [​IMG]

3. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Is it aggressive behavior or is she being inquisitive? If I go in and sit down my girls will 'gather round' and peck at my shoes, buttons, flowers on my blouse, my rings and even take the mosquitoes off my legs. but after a few minutes they become interested in something else and move on... It's not done in an aggressive manner--just 'tasting' everything.. I like it... It gives me time to see them up close and to make mental notes of their differences.. My girls are not cuddle bugs but they are not really flighty either..

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  4. Booswalia

I don't think it's aggressive. I certainly doesn't hurt when she pecks my fingers.

5. fordmommy

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    She likes you. Just tell her who's boss.

6. cnj-tx50

cnj-tx50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    North of Dallas, TX
    One of my RIR loves me and comes running everytime I go to the yard. We have 24 and a very handsome Americanna Roo, but she has nothing to do with him and if someone else becomes interested in me, well the fight is on!!!!!

7. Booswalia

She loves me? I'm so touched. [​IMG]

8. fordmommy

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

9. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    I have a at least three who like to do this to me when I go in and sit with them. It drives me a little crazy and does hurt. I push them away and they come back again for more![​IMG]

Doesn't seem aggressive though, just like they are happy to have me around (or at least that's what I hope is happening!).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by