She really wants to mate....with me?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Pet Duck Boy, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Yeah, I'm guessing Sunny is at the point where she's thinkin dirty thoughts now. Or at least wants to have babies. She's 7 months old, almost 8. So I guess this is normal? For the past 2 days, everytime I head out to feed her she quacks at me none stop. She'll run up to me, smooth out all her feathers until she looks skinny. And she stretches her neck out all the way. I'm positive this is mating behavior for a hen. She seems like she really trusts me, and only me. But this behavior is kind of getting annoying. Getting another duck isn't possible, don't ask why...it just isn't. Are they like dogs? Where they go through ummm say, "heat"? Or will she do this year round? It doesn't sound right telling my friends that my pet duck wants to have babies with me....

*edited to remove personal info*

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2010
  2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Yes that is definetly mating behavior if she is laying herself out flat....if it gets annoying to you, I would just grab her up when she does it and hold her a little, get her mind of other things.

3. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    She froze up comepletly in the water just a few minutes ago, I though something was wrong. But I guess freezing up in the water is mating behavior too? She's done this before. But not so many times in just one day.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Your poor girl is hormonally deranged [​IMG]

5. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    lol, at least your duck has a girl name and is called a she.

My duck Victor, who we thought was a boy, turned out to be a girl.... and he does the same things. Every morning he insists i open up the doors to the second level of his pen and pet him. he flattens the back out and quacks a little. i pet him down his back and he rests his head in my elbow. I know it's due to hormones, but he also likes being pet. I'd say just take advantage of their "liking" for you. It means your in charge! lol. It helps keep my ducks in line.

When training a duck, esp female ones like my newest duck Ollie who thinks she's the top duck around here, we make her sit down and then we'll pinch the feathers on her head a little. We don't do it hard enough to hurt her. She usually complies. I figure it's like a bigger female or male tellng her who's boss. She's much nicer afterwards and not so punky.

6. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    just wondering will males do the same flattening move? or is it strictly for females?

7. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    Quote:Based on my observations, it's most likely only a female thing. Females don't do it until they are of laying age. They stop whenever they aren't laying (taking a break, molting, broody, etc.). And ours usually don't do it in the evening - when the do it in the evening the eggs usually are laid late morning or early afternoon instead of early morning. They NEVER do it in the morning before they laid their egg.

8. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Males will actually try to mount you...and some bigger breeds get aggressive to you during breeding season if they are a lone duck.

9. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Nobody ever said birds were smart.

10. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    my female walks over to me and then if i give her a scratch between her wings right at the base of her neck she gets all still and flat. but if i do it to the other questionable male/female it wont. maybe it would be a male??? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by