She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, May 8, 2015.

1. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    So I was reading an article about chickens (of course) and read about a breed that lays eggs darker then marans...the Spanish Penedescenca...anyone ever heard of this breed?
    ETA:[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  2. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Silkiecuddles your pigeons are very pretty. [​IMG]

Snakes.... Yikes!

Good luck everyone on your hatch. [​IMG]

3. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    Thanks, chickadoodles and SC!

1 person likes this.
  4. chickadoodles

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    scflock your AM's are very pretty. [​IMG]

5. chickadoodles

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    I know there are a few breeders of the Penedescenca on BYC. One is Chicken Canoe and Ronnott1 is the other. Those two are the only ones I know of. They are beautiful birds and lay a dark chocolate egg darker than most Marans.

6. sideWing

sideWing Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2015
    Utah
    Of course! [​IMG]

May the force be with you.

I say that all the time when I squeeze my kids.

I'm with SC. I have 3 out of 5 going into lockdown.

d'uccle or no, I love that color and I will have a few in a large laying flock someday.

The hatchery is where the feed store get's the confusion from. They do it because people are asking for Ameraucanas for blue or other colored eggs and they don't care. I wish the Ameraucana club would lobby them to stop. It really is a problem. The feed store just labels the chicks what they see on the hatchery packing slip.

I have heard of them. Some folks have mixed them hoping to improve the Marans eggs and really messed up the genes in the Marans line. They have a coronation comb that pops up all over the Marans world and makes Marans breeders very sad. Are those the darkest they produce because a good Marans can.........
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  7. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    this is what I was going to say. I learned about the penedesenca mix from snowbird. People did it to darken the eggs, but like Sidewing said, it messed up the line. My rooster has a comb that is an automatic DQ because of the mix

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I wouldn't say mine loves to cook... it's more of a self preservation thing. He knows that when I get going on an outside project, it's difficult to re-direct me! Also, I remind him that if I check out first, he'd better be scouting for a new bride at my funeral... either that or be able to cook! I tell him that she doesn't have to be pretty. She just has to be a good cook, and above all treat him well!

You just might. If she's vertically challenged, and I'm guessing she doesn't have as much muscle mass as you do... us women have to substitute brains for brawn. No insult intended. During the coop build, hubby was impressed on more than one occasion with the techniques I came up with to overcome my lack of muscle.

Silkie, you have to be of a certain age to appreciate the Martian and his affection for the duck. Now, those of my generation... help me out here... He was a Martian, right? What was his name? And what was the duck's name, and did he ever get Bugs Bunny in his clutches? Has to be one of the all time favorite classic cartoons, but, I'm foggy on the details.

[​IMG]

Nice looking EE!

Not a dumb question at all. SC answered it well. Maybe we'd all ought to bomb the hatcheries with demands that they cease and desist from their false advertising. It's not an Ameraucana (See, I can spell it! But, I'm happy with my EE!) unless the breeder advertises a specific color, like: Blue, black, splash, wheaten... Even then... buyer beware! if you want Ams instead of EE, cause if the roo plays in the wrong breeding pen, the Am chicks become EE chicks.

9. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I went out to greet the flock this morning, and one of my boys started crowing! It was so cute. Just 3 little syllables... Err-er-errrrr, but he was flapping his wings and strutting around. I went back inside to get my phone to try to get a video, but he quit.... darn it. Is 14 weeks about normal?

And speaking of combs, I took a few pics this morning, trying to concentrate on combs, beaks, eyes, wattles etc.
    This guy is the friendliest, but his comb has some darkening in it, and in his wattles. Does anyone think it will redden out, or will it just get darker or stay the same? His beak is nice and black.
    [​IMG]

These both have pretty bright red combs. They aren't mean, but they aren't as friendly.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The trio:
    [​IMG]

The left one is bigger than the other 2, their feathering looks about the same as each other. I'm trying to decide which one to keep... if I end up having to get rid of one or two. So far, they all get along ok, I did see a little chest bumping going on this morning, but nothing major.

10. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Those lavenders are gorgeous! I love hearing a rooster learning to crow. I have 2 booted bantams doing it now :gig

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by