She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Ameraucana
smack.gif
Remember it like this. Araucana= Arrow-cana. The "O" is after the R. So when you spell Ameraucana, spell it like America up until the R, then the "O" after the R
thumbsup.gif

This is copy and paste from Murray McMurray's website:

" Adults are of medium size with pea combs and our breeding stock is selected for their ability to produce colored eggs. They exhibit a wonderful combination of colors and color patterns and several of these birds will be a hardy addition to your small farm or backyard flock. Baby chicks come in all colors, plain and fancy, just like the adults. Our Araucanas/Ameraucanas are recommended for egg laying color and ability and not for exhibition."

This drives me insane. Everything they said says EE, then they write the disclaimer that they are not for exhibition. Call them Easter Eggers! They would sell just as well. EEs are beautiful birds, and lay beautiful eggs. Why the false advertising?
They could even say "Our Easter Eggers are often called Aracanas/Ameraucanas, but they are not true Aracanas/Ameraucanas but are mixes from the same breeds". Or something like that.

The Ameracauna/EE thing is especially mean for chicken newbies who don't know the difference. We have one EE. I don't remember what we were told she was, but I think it was Ameracauna. (I can spell it! Now j need some.) I love her though. She's the granny of the pigeon's chick.
So many posts like this...

OP: Look at my new Ameraucanas!
love.gif

BYC Peep: Nice EE. You my friend, are a sucker.
somad.gif

OK, most BYC folks are nice about it, but it sure feels that way when you are excited about your "Ameracauna".

Last edited:
They could even say "Our Easter Eggers are often called Aracanas/Ameraucanas, but they are not true Aracanas/Ameraucanas but are mixes from the same breeds". Or something like that.
They also say this:

This unusual breed gets in name from the Indian tribe of Chilie where they were first discovered. Our chicks have some Araucana and some Ameraucana blood mixed and consequently are not for show but are beautiful chickens known for their ability to lay colored eggs of shades varying from turquoise to deep olive to shades of brown. Each bird will typically lay a different shade of colored egg that will amaze your friends and make a wonderful "show and tell" type project for school. Adults are of medium size with pea combs and our breeding stock are selected for their ability to produce colored eggs. They exhibit a wonderful combination of colors and color patterns and 10 or 20 of these birds will make an absolutely beautiful laying flock that is extremely hardy and will be the talk of the town. Baby chicks come in all colors, plain and fancy, just like the adults. This is a unique breed and great fun to have when the colored eggs start coming. Our chicks are recommended for egg laying color and ability, not for exhibition.

And in the Q&A section:
Questions & Answers
Are the Araucanas that you sell true Araucana's?
Araucanas are a purebred originating from South America. They have no tail feathers. Americanas are a mix of Araucana and other American breeds. They have tail feathers. Ours would be classified as Americanas. We breed for a standard egg color and egg production.

I think they should just spell it "Americana" and say its an Easter Egger.

They also say this:

This unusual breed gets in name from the Indian tribe of Chilie where they were first discovered. Our chicks have some Araucana and some Ameraucana blood mixed and consequently are not for show but are beautiful chickens known for their ability to lay colored eggs of shades varying from turquoise to deep olive to shades of brown. Each bird will typically lay a different shade of colored egg that will amaze your friends and make a wonderful "show and tell" type project for school. Adults are of medium size with pea combs and our breeding stock are selected for their ability to produce colored eggs. They exhibit a wonderful combination of colors and color patterns and 10 or 20 of these birds will make an absolutely beautiful laying flock that is extremely hardy and will be the talk of the town. Baby chicks come in all colors, plain and fancy, just like the adults. This is a unique breed and great fun to have when the colored eggs start coming. Our chicks are recommended for egg laying color and ability, not for exhibition.

And in the Q&A section:
Questions & Answers
Are the Araucanas that you sell true Araucana's?
Araucanas are a purebred originating from South America. They have no tail feathers. Americanas are a mix of Araucana and other American breeds. They have tail feathers. Ours would be classified as Americanas. We breed for a standard egg color and egg production.

I think they should just spell it "Americana" and say its an Easter Egger.
When I bought mine at the feed store, they were "Americana"

Immaculate conception?
I've never a bought a chicken either....

Seriously? Argh. A-M-E-R-A-U-C-A-N-A. Good?
Don't feel bad... Apparently temperAmental has an "a" in the mental and he let me know that too.
wink.png
gig.gif
Spelling nazi!

So many posts like this...

OP: Look at my new Ameraucanas!
love.gif

BYC Peep: Nice EE. You my friend, are a sucker.
somad.gif

OK, most BYC folks are nice about it, but it sure feels that way when you are excited about your "Ameracauna".
Seen that plenty of times...lol

Back
Top Bottom