She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, May 8, 2015.

1. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    Ok, thanks. The EE has less distinguished feathers and is lighter than her baby, who's in the first pic.

2. sideWing

sideWing Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2015
    Utah
    I find the AM crowd a little strange (present company excluded [​IMG]). If I have a lavender wyandotte than it's still a wyandotte. No one calls it a Cream Egger.

When I posted my first AMs someone said they are not AM because they had the wrong color. What the heck does that have to do with it? It may not be a "recognized" color, but can't it still be an AM?

For example. My daughter can show her Sable Point Lionhead rabbit at the ARBA show for certain prizes even though it's not an accepted color for the ARBA. But no one will walk by the cage and say "That's not a lionhead, it's an Easter Bunny. Wrong color.".

The color of a chicken or variety does not make a chicken a certain breed, it's the type. Or at least starts with the type. Build, comb, etc. Maybe EE just came up as a convenient way for any AM folk to DQ or discourage the breeding of non approved variety's? I understand it now for the most part, but as a noob it's very confusing and discouraging because the rules are literally different when it comes to AMs vs other breeds.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  3. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    It got better. Pips and Peeps said it was too early to cull for purple sheen. Said it was entirely possible it will molt out :thumbsup
    I wish some of the major breeders would pop in once in a while. The insanity is just filler. You see how serious we all get when we start talking chickens

4. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

My girls fly up to my shoulder and tell me all about their day, lol... and come when I call their names...

I would call it more of a partidge color, but some people get offended by that term usage... :idunno
    I'd just say similar to Welsummers...

5. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Ravyn will have to answer that one. I'm still learning

6. browncow15

browncow15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Indiana

I was going to ask about this point but sidewing beat me to it!

7. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Am's were originally designed with specific color types set in their standard...

And for all breeds in the APA, if it doesn't breed true then it is not correct for breed... EE's don't breed true, and crossing Am colors won't breed true either...

Very picky... but so is the AKC, etc... female dogs, and horses were/are considered 'ruined' if covered by a mutt... :/

1 person likes this.
  8. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

So am I... ;)

Thank you... :)

9. BlackwoodHollow

BlackwoodHollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2014
    Northeastish Ga
    I have been thinking about raising some of those. Supposed to be very hardy birds, good foragers and heat tolerant; all of which we need. Beautiful eggs!
    We are trying to focus on one or two breeds of quality birds, but it's tough.
    Interesting stuff. I honestly don't know what the plan is when we get our 30 BLRWs in, or when our backyard mixes hatch. I guess we better figure it out quick, though.

lolllll

Very sophisticated. I like it. [​IMG]

Good luck SC, SJ, Ross and anyone else I missed!

10. BlackwoodHollow

BlackwoodHollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2014
    Northeastish Ga
    I'm glad to hear it! I don't know anything about AM's, but to me, those are beautiful birds!

This is one of the main reasons I love this thread--this and all the lumber and windows and such--I'm learning so much.
    Now if I could only retain some of it. . .

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by