She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, May 8, 2015.

1. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    [​IMG] I like your rant.

I have a australorp mutt that does that. I just have to make sure she can't see my eyes.....lol

2. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    I know people have used Penes and Cream Legbar working on autosexing EEs.

Your Roo is quite handsome and looks like he has a hybrid comb. I love my EEs too!

EE

I think Ameraucana people have to push the SOP rules harder since the market is flooded with "Americanas" and EEs from hatcheries and breeders that just don't know better. It makes some of them quite defensive.

X2

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    That is the conclusion I came to...lol I think half of mine doesn't have a standard comb type...lol

4. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I thought about that also. My lavender orpingtons are still orpingtons even though lavender is not a "recognized" color (yet). Lavender breeds true, so I have not figured out why they haven't recognized it yet.

Good answer... by the way, what's the chicken in your avatar?

Its all because of the hammers... [​IMG]

I have a retention problem too... But I blame the wild turkey.

5. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    The reason the Lavender will never be a recognized APA color is because the Self Blue is the Color of Choice here. Walt Leonard is in charge of the Standard Committee and has stated on BYC the Lavender will not be accepted in any breed.

6. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Snowbird!!! Ok, people, I have to behave while my mentor is here...
    Don, what was I reading about lavender wreaking havoc on the plumage? I know there was a term for it, something like feather shredder, but I'm not in a position to look it up

7. sideWing

sideWing Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2015
    Utah
    Great answer Ravyn.

But if I breed a color like Self Blue in over time and the bird meets all the other points of the standard it would still be AM. At least that's how it seems to work in other breeds. Will the AM standard NEVER allow another color?

Do you have Foleys Ebook on culling and picking BLRW? It's so worth the $10. Will save you hundreds if you are working on great BLR.

I can totaly understand this... to a point. I don't want them to accept anything besides SOP, but I have a hard time thinking a bird is not a certain breed just because of color. Now leg color and genotype are great reasons to say a bird is an EE.

I like Self Blue much better than Lav for the naming convention. Thank you for the update Don.

8. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country

9. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    I can't remember where I read it, but I think it was GRITS magazine in an article called "The lavender project". I will have to read it again tonight. It said something about a large percentage of birds having shredded looking tails, like they had been pulled backwards through a fence
    May have been in Backyard Poultry

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  10. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Fraying?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by