She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

As far as Ameraucanas are concerned, it's a mutt. Leg color and body color are the first giveaways. The pictures of the EEs I posted with the pea combs and beautiful beards? 3 years ago I would have called them Ameraucana. Now when I see someone else post one I'm like, Nope, EE.
If you think this is bad, buy some BCMs...

I know how hard the BCMs are. You guys are just teaching me about the Ameraucanas today. I'm just trying to learn about the silkies sop (because thats all i have at the moment) and I do think breeders in general get carried away with too many colors. But I understand after today about "project" colors. I see them offered a lot when I'm shopping. Now, i understand that better. It's all very interesting.

I have and raise and hatch for one purpose and one purpose only: My enjoyment. Will there be a day I might want to raise a certain breed for local showing and will give two flying feathers about standards? Possible, especially if my boy gets into 4-H and this avian flu crap lets up. I do find it interesting seeing the SOP and learning things, but what annoys me is people that believe you should only be breeding toward the standard and if you are doing anything but that you shouldn't own or let your chickens breed. There are people that only like purebred dogs and will never own a mutt. That doesn't make the mutt less desirable to someone who is looking for a dog to love and have as a pet and can't afford a pure bred. I find more enjoyment in mixes than most purebreds. As for selling them not being SOP or show quality. I would never advertise that my chickens were anything other than mixes and if someone else wants to buy that does not care than why should anyone be condemned? Even with my Silver Laced Appenzeller Spitzhaubens-when I sold the extras-they are pure bred but not show quality. Like the majority of American bred Spitz's the leg coloring is dilluted from being bred from the same original line (according to my readings on the breed) they are still the bluish color, but not as dark. Luckily their crests are front facing, but I also made sure the buyer was aware that they were not show quality. She didn't care. They are gorgeous birds regardless.

I think it's cool following and watching people trying to perfect their birds and all the kudos to them. I just wish that self righteous bird owners/breeders would realize that is not everyone's goal and stop putting down those of us that just have our flocks for the pure enjoyment and hobby of raising them and seeing what we hatch out.

I do agree that no one should be breeding sickly/deformed/otherwise unhealthy birds.

AND I STILL WANT SOME SHOWGIRLS!!!!!!! lol

I have and raise and hatch for one purpose and one purpose only: My enjoyment.  Will there be a day I might want to raise a certain breed for local showing and will give two flying feathers about standards? Possible, especially if my boy gets into 4-H and this avian flu crap lets up. I do find it interesting seeing the SOP and learning things, but what annoys me is people that believe you should only be breeding toward the standard and if you are doing anything but that you shouldn't own or let your chickens breed.  There are people that only like purebred dogs and will never own a mutt. That doesn't make the mutt less desirable to someone who is looking for a dog to love and have as a pet and can't afford a pure bred.  I find more enjoyment in mixes than most purebreds. As for selling them not being SOP or show quality. I would never advertise that my chickens were anything other than mixes and if someone else wants to buy that does not care than why should anyone be condemned?  Even with my Silver Laced Appenzeller Spitzhaubens-when I sold the extras-they are pure bred but not show quality. Like the majority of American bred Spitz's the leg coloring is dilluted from being bred from the same original line (according to my readings on the breed) they are still the bluish color, but not as dark. Luckily their crests are front facing, but I also made sure the buyer was aware that they were not show quality. She didn't care. They are gorgeous birds regardless.

I think it's cool following and watching people trying to perfect their birds and all the kudos to them. I just wish that self righteous bird owners/breeders would realize that is not everyone's goal and stop putting down those of us that just have our flocks for the pure enjoyment and hobby of raising them and seeing what we hatch out.

I do agree that no one should be breeding sickly/deformed/otherwise unhealthy birds. 

AND I STILL WANT SOME SHOWGIRLS!!!!!!! lol
There she is :gig
Miss Don't Tread on Me :gig
We all raise them for enjoyment. Some people enjoy the challenge of raising SOP.
Wow, that was a tall soap box :lau

There she is
gig.gif

Miss Don't Tread on Me
gig.gif

We all raise them for enjoyment. Some people enjoy the challenge of raising SOP.
Wow, that was a tall soap box
lau.gif
And I TOTALLY get that! I find it fascinating-I really do. I'm not faulting striving for perfection, just putting down those of us that don't.
smile.png

I am a bit sad. Our county fair starts in a couple weeks and this is the first year that we have really been this deep into raising chickens and no poultry showing. Stupid avian flu.

I find more enjoyment in mixes than most purebreds. As for selling them not being SOP or show quality. I would never advertise that my chickens were anything other than mixes and if someone else wants to buy that does not care than why should anyone be condemned?
And I think you should................. raise the chickens you enjoy.
thumbsup.gif
But you are knowledgeable and would not try to sell a mutt as a pure. I just looked at an ad in my town.
Title: Blue laced red wyandotte rooster.
Ad body: Blue laced red dad, mother ?

The guy should just sell it as a Backyard Mix with a BLR sire. The next owner will probably say he has a BLR. It just gets out of hand.

I'm interested in SOP because I want the breed to get better as I sell them and add awesome examples of a breed out into the public. That being said I will sell a barnyard mix as an egg layer in a heartbeat.

It's important to understand that someone or some people have to be working towards SOP all the time or a whole breed of chicken can be lost. At least the true form of a breed. If all the world had left was hatchery grade Silver Laced Wyandotte than it has lost the usefulness and beauty that it was originally bred for and really just becomes a pretty egg layer, not a kick @##, dual purpose, consistent egg laying, meat producing, beauty of a bird that it really is.

Back
Top Bottom