She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, May 8, 2015.

1. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

Hopefully she's just that way with mean men [​IMG]

2. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    Haha yes. Id be that way with mean men as well. :D

3. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

The only thing I'd be worried about is if that eye infection was caused by IB... that's highly contagious... definitely keep it quarantined til you can treat an reassess... if it's quarantined downwind from your others, yes you can leave it where it can see them...
    I'd suggest a full deworming and lice/mites treatment... but only do that if it's not underweight... if underweight, do 1 treatment at a time...
    I use Safeguard or Valbazen, Ivermectin Pour On, and Permethrin dust...

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I don't know. I'm pretty sure it was you that posted a pic of an all black chicken that had a lot of iridescence in the feathers. Wasn't it? It looks like that and it has a red comb & wattles. Lots of green in the black feathers and dark almost black legs. Just such a sweet disposition. I'm picking it up tomorrow and I'll post some pics and you guys can help me figure out what it is and if you think male or female. I'm leaning towards female but it's still young.

I was trying to do some research on bird quarantine and rescue and this came up in my search. Had to share it here. Animal neglect really gets to me, so kinda a tear-jerker but such a happy ending!!

5. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY

Thank you!!! The chick was bought and thrown in with an established flock of about 100 birds in the same day. The flock also consists of ducks/quail/pigeons/pheasants all intermixed in the same enclosures. I know it got pecked very bad the first week, I believe that is why the eye got infected. But I don't know that 100%. I will go to the feed store and buy those meds tomorrow and order whatever is not sold on the shelf. So thank you again for the drug names. Should I give it a bath when I bring it home?

6. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    I'd keep it far away from your other chickens for a month, because I'm concerned about infectious stuff like Ravyn said. Sorry, no ill chickens are coming anywhere near my place if I can help it! I value my flock too much. Take care of your flock first, then your newbie, then wash up and put those clothes in the wash. Wash your hands obsessively.

The bath sounds like a good idea.

During that quarantine month, you can fatten him/her up, go over him/her with a fine tooth comb, work on trust, etc. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  7. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Bath only if it doesn't seem weak or sick other than the injured eye... check the eye for bubbles... if there's bubbling, I wouldn't even bring it home, sorry...
    Valbazen is also called Albendazole I believe, and I think Ivomec on the Ivermectin... off brands work just as well as long as main ingredient is the same...

x2

My flock is closed now... too much risk... :)

8. this is simple you have to ask your self where the EEs came from in the first place. the answer as with all breeds they start somewhere the Ameraucana breeders culled or marketed them as ameraucas in the beginning. so they have no one to blame but them selves they caused this problem . I would not imagine that a single ameraucana breeder sold their chickens as ees and little by little they have or are changing the SOP . I feel like they are breeding the color out of the egg. without the egg color thy are just another chicken. and a little on the small side. now once again this is just my feelings on this subject. doesn't mean that its right . just the way I think.[​IMG]

9. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Actually, it started as all blue or green egg layers were called Araucanas... mixed breeds or not... and the Easter Eggers were around long before Am's, but the EE term is relatively new... just my 2 cents... :)

10. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

Yes it was me. It was pics of my black carrying lavender orpington.

Its so great to have such knowledgeable folks here. You got some great advice, so I hope it all works out for you. Its hard when your heart gets tugged by a sweet helpless animal...
    Oh darn, now I gotta go back and watch the vid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by