She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, May 8, 2015.

1. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country

2. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    That's surprising, I just figured you as a BCM guy. I like you letting your hair down and talking a little[​IMG]

3. dan26552

dan26552 Flock Master

Oct 28, 2014
    Waiting for epicness.
    My Coop
    Muscovies are my favorite breed of duck

4. snowbird

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country

5. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

I'm gonna try to see if I can clear this up a bit, lol...

The 2 main breeds used to create Araucanas were found in SA... 1 was tailed and tufted and laid cream eggs, the other was rumpless and laid blue eggs... the natives didn't breed types, just let them mingle as they wanted...
    The guy who discovered them decided he wanted to mix them to see if he could create a rumpless tufted bird that would lay blue eggs... (can't remember if he used any other breeds, btw, but don't think so)
    In this process it was discovered that the blue shell was caused by a retrovirus at one time... he also found out that breeding tufted to tufted caused most chicks to DIS... getting 2 copies of the tufted gene is leathal, not the rumplessness...
    Anyways, after Araucanas were created people started calling any chicken laying blue/green eggs Araucanas... at this point there were 2 groups working on breeding these, one that encouraged tufts and one that encouraged muffs and beards... they split off and Ameraucanas came from the bearded and muffed group...

ETA: this is an abridged version, lol...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  6. I have a SLW rooster that doesn't like my wife or daughter he charges them if they enter the run or just walk by. but with me he is fine unless I catch one of his hens then he comes after me. I like your approach maybe I'll try it .I sold my best BCM because he was so mean couldn't turn my back on him .I have another that's nuts I'll try it on him sounds like they would like the banana better than buckshot. thanks

7. snowbird

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country

8. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    I'll be honest, I had to look that up. It looks kinda like a Delaware. Why is that pattern your favorite? It's kinda vanilla

9. snowbird

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country

10. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    I thought SOP breeding would be fun, and it kind of is, but I had no idea how difficult it really was until I jumped into the eat'emup thread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by