She seems so young and small compared to the others

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stephanie739, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    This is Buttons, a 4 week old bantam cochin. She is very healthy, running around, testing her wings, eating, drinking, etc. She just seems so tiny, with so few feathers compared to everyone else. Isn't she pretty? [​IMG]
    Only one other is a bantam, and he is a roo (see his behind? He is closer in age to the big birds, probably about 5 weeks old, pictured in the center of the last picture) Most in this group are 5 1/2 weeks old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wolftalk

Wolftalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The Coop :)
    WOW! She is small!!!!! If shes healthy, i wouldn't worry to much. I dont know if there is a disorder/disease that cuases her to be so small. but id love to find out. ANY ONE????

3. JenniferNgo

JenniferNgo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Texas
    This happens sometimes in bantams and tiny breeds. Its referred to as a "micro" they are usually (not always) infertile and don't live as long (maybe 4-5 years instead of the 6-8 years, again sometimes not always) .

Very cute and very rare. Because of their size they are usually the humans favorite so they tend to be friendly little tykes! Enjoy her!

4. Wolftalk

Wolftalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The Coop :)
    Quote:thanks!!! i had no idea!

5. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
  6. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Unless it is failure to thrive, I wouldn't worry. I've had two cases and they both passed away. They just would not grow. [​IMG]

If your girl is healthy and active and not lame and tired, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

8. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. I am not overly worried about her health, at this point. I do of course have to keep her warmer than the others and I thought being a pullet (which I do believe she is) she will be a little smaller than her brother (born about a week ahead)....She does seem happy and healthy. I love watching her fly and she sure can run fast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by