She sleeps often - is she sick?

Willie_from_MN

Chirping
Apr 4, 2020
Hello everyone!

Help needed PLEASE!

We ordered 4 Pullets this past Spring. We got them at the beginning of July. We got 2 Red Star Started Pullets and 2 Black Australorp Started Pullets. One of the Red Star birds grew at a faster rate than the other 3 birds. Fast forward to now and all 4 birds have grown big time. The one that started out growing much faster always seems to be tired all the time. This was noted earlier and seems to be getting worse. She sleeps a lot during the day. She tucks her head and naps. She also has one eye that is closed most of the time. The Australorps are aggressive toward the Red Star’s. I’m not sure if one of them didn’t peck her in the eye. Her Comb is much smaller than the others and it is lacking color.

She has been drinking and I’ve seen her eat.

Any thoughts on what is going on and how to help her get better?

My Wife and I are totally new to raising Chickens. The “Gal” in question is the kindest bird we have. It would be awful to lose her! She’s such a sweetheart!

Thank you in advance for your time and any input you can offer!

Best regards,

Willie

I would check the eye to make sure that it is not injured. How do her poops look? Can you try to get her drinking some fluids and offer some wet chicken feed, bits of scrambled egg? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease or coccididiosis?

I would check the eye to make sure that it is not injured. How do her poops look? Can you try to get her drinking some fluids and offer some wet chicken feed, bits of scrambled egg? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease or coccididiosis?

Here is the info from the Hatchery website:

Production Brown egg layers, shipped at 15-24 weeks old. Each month we start a new batch of Red Stars. Red Stars are the gold standard in brown egg production. Red Stars will start laying at around 22-23 weeks. They lay a large brown egg and are an easy to raise bird.

Our chicks are vaccinated for Mareks are kept in the brooder for 3-4 weeks depending on the outside temperature. When they arrive, they are given Gro Gel, warm water with Quick Chick and a little sugar dissolved. Around the time that they start jumping on the side boards of the brooders, we move them onto pasture. In the pasture they have free access to fresh grass, weeds, seeds and bugs.

Please note: In order for these birds to begin producing eggs at 22-23 weeks, they must be maintained on a high quality diet appropriate for their age. 20.5% crude protein 0-4 weeks. 20.0% 4-10 weeks. 17% 10-16 weeks. 17.5% until laying. These are the recommended

How do you check her eye? I can try picking her up. All 4 are not fans of being touched. We have been slowly trying to get them to trust us.

THANK YOU for your reply!

Willie

Can you post some photos of her with the others and one of her poop too?

Checking the eye for injury is a good idea. If she's not used to being handled, then you may need to wait until tonight when she's roosting, then take her off the roost. Loosely swaddle her in a towel to capture her wings, then check her all over. Look for a scab or peck mark around the eye. It would be good to open the eye and see if there's pus or debris too.
While you have her, inspect around her vent and neck for lice and mites.

A lot of chickens don't like being touched, but they can be "friendly". Just be patient, sit with them and bring them a small treat now and again. You may never have any that truly want to be held, but they are a lot of fun to watch, talk to and they like to hang out.

Can you post some photos of her with the others and one of her poop too?

Checking the eye for injury is a good idea. If she's not used to being handled, then you may need to wait until tonight when she's roosting, then take her off the roost. Loosely swaddle her in a towel to capture her wings, then check her all over. Look for a scab or peck mark around the eye. It would be good to open the eye and see if there's pus or debris too.
While you have her, inspect around her vent and neck for lice and mites.

A lot of chickens don't like being touched, but they can be "friendly". Just be patient, sit with them and bring them a small treat now and again. You may never have any that truly want to be held, but they are a lot of fun to watch, talk to and they like to hang out.

Here are a few photos of the Gal in question. She just ate some freeze dried meal worms from my hand while I distracted the other 3 with some in another area of the pen. She also drank some water after. She is lacking energy. Just looking at her, it looks like her eye is just closed. the Lid looks OK.

We have a small coop and the roost is not to conducive to grabbing her after dark. At least not without getting the others all upset.

THANK YOU for your time and input!

Willie

20201026_130410.jpg
20201026_130342.jpg
20201026_130426.jpg
20201026_130433.jpg
20201026_130438.jpg

Here are a few photos of the Gal in question. She just ate some freeze dried meal worms from my hand while I distracted the other 3 with some in another area of the pen. She also drank some water after. She is lacking energy. Just looking at her, it looks like her eye is just closed. the Lid looks OK.

We have a small coop and the roost is not to conducive to grabbing her after dark. At least not without getting the others all upset.

THANK YOU for your time and input!

Willie

View attachment 2388169View attachment 2388171View attachment 2388173View attachment 2388174View attachment 2388175
She's doesn't look like she's feeling too well.
What's her poop look like?

I would still try to get her up and take a look at the eye just to make sure there's nothing in it.
Direct dose her with some poultry vitamins.
She may be have more going on, I agree with @Eggcessive I wouldn't necessarily rule out Marek's, but since she grew faster than the others and she's a hybrid she may have a genetic or developmental disorder too.

Back
Top Bottom