She started laying then quit. What's up?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lollysmom, Sep 12, 2011.

1. lollysmom

lollysmom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2011
    We have a BO that started laying at 20 weeks. She laid an egg every day until last week. She hasn't laid one since. Saturday morning our dogs got in the coop and killed one of the other girls, then TS Lee went through, so there was a lot going on last weekend. I have noticed that she's squatting again, and I heard the "egg song" two days ago, but still no egg. Does anyone have any advice?

2. lollysmom

Sep 7, 2011
    By the way, she's 23 weeks now.

3. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Just a thought.... Could she be at the beginning of a molt? One of mine went through one and I have read on here a lot of others are in molt. They stop laying. Could she be stressed from everything that's gone on at your place? Are you sure it was her that was doing the egg song? I"m sure someone with more experience will jump in a have better suggestions. Good luck and [​IMG]. You've come to a good place for help.

Need to proof read before posting. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  4. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    Dog attack, stress will definitely stop a hen from laying. Hens have to feel safe and secure to lay properly. I once had a dog attack my hens - they stopped laying, took a couple weeks to lay again. AND the color of the eggs changed too. From green to light brown! The green color never returned either.

5. lollysmom

Sep 7, 2011
    Yay! She laid again this morning!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by