1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

She started, now she stopped

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by whoacowboy, Aug 1, 2011.

1. whoacowboy

whoacowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    My young red star has laid a few shell-less eggs...but that was weeks ago. She got out of the run one night and our hunting dog chased her around for a while. She took off in the fields. We had our dog track her so we could bring her home. She was fine besides being shook up. But since that day, she hasn't been laying. Now what? [​IMG]

2. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    [​IMG]

I'm no expert by any means but it sure sounds to me like is just plain STRESSED....the poor girl. I don't know how big your dog is, but I'm sure it's much bigger than she is and she. was. scared!

Are you giving enough calcium? Oyster shells? That seems to be the cure for shell-less eggs. I started offering them to my girls about a month ago and their first eggs were quite sturdy. They are just over 21 weeks.

I'm so glad you got her back safely....I'm sure someone with more experience will be along shortly.....

3. whoacowboy

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    She is young...about 20 weeks now. They have oyster shell and lots of food and treats with protein. The dog is a lab. She is a trained hunting dog, which is the only reason she didn't get killed. Our dog doesn't kill, but only softly and firmly holds them. But when a chicken is flapping around feathers get torn out and the chase continues. [​IMG] Since this has happened there have been no more incidences. Our dog actually walks around with them and she doesn't fixate on them at all. Thank goodness she's smart and knows now she can't hunt chickens.. Aside from that she is very calm, curious, always comes around to check out what I'm doing. I don't know if she's just young yet. I know when laying first begins it is inconsistent. But two weeks and no egg? p.s. She was laying them in boxes and we always check around to see if they are somewhere else...and nothing.

4. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    What a good dog you have! My dobes and the min-pin couldn't care less about the chickens and ducks....but my Lab/terrier...as sweet as she is....would go for the throat in a minute if she had the chance, bring it to me dead as if it were a prize.....she is never allowed around the birds.

I really hope someone will give you some advice on the egg laying...I'm clueless....but that's why I come here!!![​IMG]

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I would think that she is still suffering with the after effects of the shock and will eventually start to lay again. This can take up to a couple of months.

Do make sure that she has plenty of calcium/vit D for the eggs shells

Our Border Collie is currently sharing his bed area with 3 broody hens (in cardboard boxes) and a rather large yellow mutt roo. he is great around chickens ( my avatar shows his nose peeing out of his outside 'shack' surrounded by chickens)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  6. whoacowboy

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    That is so sweet! Collie's are so great at watching over their flock. My Italian Greyhound does the same thing. Our EE walks around with the dog like he's her momma. Thank you for the advice. I will just hope for the best. Either way she is sweet and we'll let her stick around.[​IMG]

7. mikensara

mikensara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    New York
    ours had started and then stopped when the horrendous heat wave came now they are laying again since we got back to the cooler temps. could be a variety of reasons they stop laying

8. Toi-toi

Toi-toi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Central MA
    I guess she is still in shock.
    My hen attacked by fox in early June and she is still suffering.
    She is eating, drinking and acting fine but won't lay good eggs. She was the one best layer in my chickens.
    Now when she laid, would be soft shell eggs or very tiny quail size eggs.
    I hope your chicken get better soon and lay good eggs!

9. whoacowboy

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    Thank you. It sounds like our patience skills will be at work [​IMG] I guess being away from her coop and girlfriends didn't help. She was all alone in a corn field most the night. When we found her she was just talking softly as if to thank us. So dramatic! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by