She stays in nest

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jingjing, Mar 15, 2015.

1. jingjing

jingjing New Egg

Dec 15, 2014
    My almost 6 mth old Chochin mix ... . She and her sister began laying about a month ago and all was well, an egg from each of them a day. Then last week she began staying in the nest all day. We let it go for 3-4 days, I assumed that she thought she was going to hatch the, what I thought a half a dozen eggs by then. There was only one egg.

I took her out 2 days ago, she joined the 2 others, she eats she drinks, but she goes straight back to nest. When I extracted her today again she eats and drinks but I noticed she is shaking her head and she walks at times as if she is off balance. To top it off my chicken here first, picks on Jingjing. I'm assuming if she is dizzy that she is most comfortable in nest. I am quite concerned and would be grateful for any help.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  2. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    Sounds like she's broody. The off balance waking is probably due to muscle strain from sitting all day. If you don't want her to hatch, you'll need to break her. Otherwise, I let my broodies sit for 24 hours, then physically put them in the run for a stretch, eat, drink, and poop (if they don't get up themselves). I do this for the first 18 days, then leave them alone until hatch.

3. jingjing

jingjing New Egg

Dec 15, 2014
    Thank you. And excuse me, break her? What does this entail?

4. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    There are many methods, but the gentlest and most effective (IMO) is a wire bottom cage. It cools the hen's breast, is somewhat uncomfortable, and denies her access to her nesting spot. This shifts her hormones back to a normal level, hence breaking her broodiness. Broodiness is very harsh on hens, and can result in death if she isn't broken or allowed to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by