she stopped being broody

Crazy4Chicks

Songster
12 Years
Nov 20, 2007
Glendale, AZ
Well it was worth a try after my parrot laid her first egg ever - i thought i would slip a banty egg under her - worked great she took right to caring for the egg - she was having trouble keeping the egg under her since it is so big for her - but today without warning Paulie realized motherhood is not for her and will not set the egg anymore - so I sliped it in the bator with my duck eggs - but do you think the high humidity is going to hurt it? the duck eggs are on day 18 - so by the time they hatch I can drop the humidity down to finish the banty egg right??

I gave Paulie back her own egg and she started to set it again and than changed her mind LOL ( no big deal it is not fertile anyway )

Julie

How far along is the egg? If it's near the beginning it won't be so bad, just let the humidity run low to make sure enough water leaves the egg before the chick hatches. Else you may end up with a mushy or drowned chick.

She was given the egg yesterday and it was put in the bator today before noon - so would that make it a day old tomorrow or two if I count the day that Paulie had it?

so either way - the egg is at thr really really early stage of incubation. I really want to check the fertility of my banty pair.

Julie

Oh, that should be fine then, just run the humidity a bit low for the last 18 days before brining it back up. Keep an eye on air cell growth and you should be good to go! Good luck!

thank you - I slipped another banty egg in that was laid today so I am hopeing to see some veining in a few days I would really love to get a breeding program going with my black dutch banty's - and maybe hatch out a few more pullets - so I might be able to sell a few hatching eggs - to help with this addiction I have LOL

Julie

Back
Top Bottom