She stopped eatting after she hurt her leg

Eggwell

Songster
6 Years
Jan 3, 2014
Wellford, SC
My Splash Orpington has stopped eating in the past 2 days. She hurt her leg somehow and was limping so I separated her and put her in a small cage to heal. She seemed to be doing okay at first but after 5 days she barely eats at all. She lies on her side most of the day off her leg and will not touch food or water.She is only 3 months old, still a youngster. Should I be concerned? Is this normal when a chick is in pain?

Refusing to eat is definitely a sign of a poor prognosis. It is unlikely that it will walk normally, and may not even walk, if you were to undertake tube feeding. And she could of course die in spite of tube feeding, depending on her internal problems.

My Splash Orpington has stopped eating in the past 2 days. She hurt her leg somehow and was limping so I separated her and put her in a small cage to heal. She seemed to be doing okay at first but after 5 days she barely eats at all. She lies on her side most of the day off her leg and will not touch food or water.She is only 3 months old, still a youngster. Should I be concerned? Is this normal when a chick is in pain?

I don't think a simple leg injury would put an otherwise healthy pullet off of feed. So, no, unless her pain is immense and she is in shock from a broken bone (etc) that is not normal. It is definitely a cause for concern.
I suspect something else is going on. Are you sure she injured the leg? It could be partial paralysis caused from disease, which is why she may have stopped eating.

If she is not eating or drinking, she will certainly die. Sooner, rather than later, if she hasn't eaten much or had anything to drink in the last day. If you want to try to save her, you can consider tube feeding her.

Was she vaccinated for Marek's disease?

Thanks for all the great advice and information. It is greatly appreciated. I'm not sure what happened to her leg, but she limps when she puts pressure on her left leg. I have been working with her the past few days and I've been able to get her to eat can corn. That's all she would eat at first and now I have her eating bread as well. She still seems weak,but at least she is eating. Thank you guys.

Back
Top Bottom