She stopped laying about three weeks ago..

Cove View Farm

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Calvert County, Maryland
and I don't have a clue why. She was my best layer until then. (Americauna- blue egg) She doesn't appear to be molting, and I never see her sitting on the nest. Our temps here are nice, it's not too hot. I only have two other brown egg layers and they've been lousy lately. One egg every other day from the two of them. I tried cayenne pepper on the feed but it doesn't seem to have an effect. They get layer feed, and shells. Any clues I should look for that would help them to lay? If it's just something that happens every once in a while, how long does it usually last?

thanks

Its probably due to the shorter days. You can put a light on them to increase their light hours to 12-14 hours a day. This helps some but I find that natural day light works the best. Of course, when our days get shorter the artificial light just has to do.

that's it? that's the only suggestion? daylight? I hope that's all it is.
smile.png

thanks

She may be about to molt. Sometimes they stop laying a couple/few weeks before molt.

I don't add extra hours of light because their bodies need a rest from the rigors of egg laying during the "shorter" days of the year.

It's only mid-September so I'm not sure that shorter days are why she's not laying at this point of the year....

If she otherwise seems happy and healthy, she may be soon to molt. My hen Ellie stopped laying around Labor Day and a couple of days ago began molting.

JJ

I have 2 EE's that stopped laying a few weeks ago. One is in an obvious molt and the other still has all her feathers. I'm not too worried but I really miss my eggs. Mine lay green eggs. I really want to get an EE that lays blue eggs.

My EE molted at the end of July, now has all of her feathers back, looks BEAUTIFUL, but has yet to lay another egg. She was a great layer of huge eggs prior to her 18 month molt. Not sure what is up with her. Do we have an EE strike? Chicken underground labor union starting?

Did you have any really bad weather? We had Ike threatening us this weekend and all of my girls held on to their eggs. Not a one!! I only had 3 eggs the day before the storm. I usually have 7-9 eggs from my 11 hens each day. We thought it was amazing that they knew there was a threatening storm in the area. Yestereday and today were better. I think I had 6 eggs yesterday and 7 eggs today. I'm curious to see how long until the shorter days start causing them to lay fewer eggs. Will they stop laying all together? Oh, I don't want to have to buy eggs again.

Back
Top Bottom