She thinks she's a Roo!!!

countrygirl4513

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 14, 2007
Portland TN
One of my 8 month old cochins thinks she's a roo. She talks all the time, loudly, and at the end of her speech she strains her neck out and tries to turn the last syllable into a crow. It is the funniest thing I've ever seen. She is indeed a hen but I'm not sure if she knows which side her bread is buttered on. Anyone have any ideas or ever have this happen?

You bet! Do you have any "actual" cockerels or just all hens? If you have just hens, one or two may take on a cockerel role.
smile.png

~Cherlyn

I have to roos, a big buff cochin and a bantam roo. I can't figure why she wants to act like one. The actual roo is obliging her daily, so you would think she'd take the hint.

edited to change word use from "nailing to obliging"
lol.png

Last edited:
I have the same issue! I have two hens, and I would swear Zoii was a rooster if she didn't lay eggs! Her comb is also HUGE comparred to the other hens and any hens I've seen. She struts her stuff and cackles constantly when someone is out there. But we usually give her some cherrios and she's happy (then starts begging for cherrios!). Im getting a couple more hens this weekend. If she wants to be the roo and protect the rest of the girls, its fine with me. I just wish she would quite down!

Back
Top Bottom