1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

She tries to hide

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by epona4, Nov 16, 2008.

1. epona4

epona4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    One of our BR banty girls (the one who has been sneezing) sometimes tries to hide. She will put her head under the breast or wing of the other banty gal or completely hide under one of our Sussex.

Anyone have this happen before?

On another note, when we first brought her home (it's been a week now!) her face, comb, wattles were all pale. They are now starting to become red. I've noticed a bit more red each morning for the last few days.

2. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    She may be trying to stay warm? Is she a pullet? I have been told that the redder they get, the closer they are to laying. Also, see if she squats down when you try to pet her? That could be another sign. Sometimes they will also act quirky before they lay for the first time.

3. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I had a turkey poult once who was raised with a chick, and the turkey insisted on putting its entire head and neck UNDERNEATH the chick at night when they slept. I always thought it was going to suffocate, but it never did. It sure looked funny, but I wondered if it had something to do with memories of snuggling under its henmom.

4. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    oh my gosh that's cute.

My friends tease me about my pullets, but I know they have feelings. Mine cuddle me when I pick them up - probably because it's very cold here now and I'm a heat source, but hey, I'll take it.

5. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Of course they have feelings!
    Some of mine (spoiled brats) cuddle even in the summertime. Try giving your friends delicious eggs and THEN see what they think.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  6. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    Epona4;

How is the chicken?

7. epona4

epona4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Quote:She's seems to be doing ok. Still hear occasional sneezes, but she seems to be better.

Our big roo also started coughing and sneezing. So we're keeping an eye on him as well.

On a "happy" note, I did hear him crow on Sunday! I was very pleased! The little banty was the only one crowing since bringing them home. And he does that a LOT. But finally the big guy let one loose. Sounded pretty sad though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by