She turned on me 😩

Sounds odd for a hen to attack... a couple of my hens do peck at my clothes, but I really think they’re just trying to get my attention! They’re very tame and very needy 🤣
I’ve read that they can peck at clothing as they see some kinda infrared light and washing powder shimmers to them. However, pecking bare flesh without there being something to peck at seems strange to me.

Here are a couple pictures and a link for a video of her (from a safe distance 😞)

Attachments

• 3D95A26A-0AD5-4764-8367-161486E553CA.jpeg
    3D95A26A-0AD5-4764-8367-161486E553CA.jpeg
    330.6 KB · Views: 57
  • D6007954-6338-4B68-A8DB-6B65931CD356.jpeg
    D6007954-6338-4B68-A8DB-6B65931CD356.jpeg
    349.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 45DBE300-D1EB-48CF-8BF9-155D45E5C968.jpeg
    45DBE300-D1EB-48CF-8BF9-155D45E5C968.jpeg
    392.7 KB · Views: 56
She is lovely... or at least she looks it!! 😍

I think you’re right to stand your ground. The only thing I can think if you’ve been spending a lot of time with them, then maybe she sees you as part of the flock and she’s trying to dominate you. I could be wrong though, and it would be more cockerel-like behaviour, but I can’t see any other reason.

If I was you, I would ‘peck’ back with my fingers when she does it, or pick her up and carry her around for a while.

I had an issue with a cockerel a while ago and someone recommended pinning them down on the ground for a while if he lashed out, or I suppose you could try that too, depending how she is, and how comfortable you feel.

Maybe the start is don’t show her your ankles 🤣 that’s just a joke. But I hope you combat it with her.

She is lovely... or at least she looks it!! 😍

I think you’re right to stand your ground. The only thing I can think if you’ve been spending a lot of time with them, then maybe she sees you as part of the flock and she’s trying to dominate you. I could be wrong though, and it would be more cockerel-like behaviour, but I can’t see any other reason.

If I was you, I would ‘peck’ back with my fingers when she does it, or pick her up and carry her around for a while.

I had an issue with a cockerel a while ago and someone recommended pinning them down on the ground for a while if he lashed out, or I suppose you could try that too, depending how she is, and how comfortable you feel.

Maybe the start is don’t show her your ankles 🤣 that’s just a joke. But I hope you combat it with her.
Wishing I wouldn’t have shaved my legs this morning 😅 Thank you for all your suggestions! I really do love them and hope to continue enjoying spending time with them rather than approach with fear.

One of my pullets this year is entirely too bold, and has pecked my boots several times. This week she grabbed a mouthful of jeans, and that's the entirely too much too! We had a firm chat, and since then I've been very proactive in pecking her first, and generally moving her out of my space. She's better, and it's going to be an ongoing story for a while.
My bird didn't actually attack, as feathers raised and ugly attitude, more of a overly pushy 'gimmie' behavior.
Agree that pictures of your bird, and diet, and do you hand feed?
Mary
Sorry Mary, I just reread your response! I do hand feed SOME scraps, but not all. Should I only hand feed? I simply hold it and they grab it, your don’t put it in your palm do you?

Back
Top Bottom