She wants to be a house chicken?

Etakeh

Songster
12 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Oregon
Our set up is like this: We have a huge back yard that is entirely fenced by 7-ft wooden fencing. We can get to it through the garage and out the side door, or through the gate on the side of the house. Our original 6 chickens have free run of the back yard, and this has worked well for the 3-4 years we have had them.

I have a yearling hen (black naked-neck, if it matters) who is acting oddly.

A couple nights ago, she must have snuck in before dark and found herself a spot, because she was in the garage on the desk when I went through to let the dog out. Odd, I thought.

But today, every time I've taken the dog out and left the door unattended - even just for long enough for a pug to pee - she's back up on the desk, face to the wall, cozied in like she's taking a nap.

After I ejected her the third time, I found her at the top of the ramp we have set up for our disabled cat to get up to the window. I think the only reason she wasn't inside was because there was a cat on the inside trying to figure out what was going on.

And moments ago, I went to the front of the house - and there was this chicken. She'd gone under the fence, it seems. Something none of my other ladies have done in the 3-4 years I've had them.

She's not being picked on that I can see, they all hang out together and she and her yearling-sister roost together every night. I can't figure out what she's doing, or what she thinks she's doing.

Any ideas?

Could she be going broody? Has she been laying? If so, where does she deposit her eggs? After you discover her "cozied in", when you pick her up does she cluck and scold? Were there eggs under her?

Back
Top Bottom