SHE was caught in the act, cannibal, NOW what?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lacrystol, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    3 of my girls are sitting on eggs, I have giving them all 4 eggs to sit on, the first girl for some reason all the eggs disappeared, not a shell nor yolk Nothing, so I gave her more eggs, the second chicken started losing her eggs, when all of a sudden BOOM, there she is the Rhode Island Red it pecking at the girls to get them off the eggs and she is eating there eggs. NOW what do I do? I have a cannibal chicken.... How do I stop this?

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Could you possibly let your two broody hens do their hatch in a place that the RIR won't be able to get at them or their eggs?

3. DelDels

DelDels Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2011
    Lower Slower Delaware
    Cull this hen right away. She will teach them all to be egg eaters.

4. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I tried that but the girls are sitting right next to each other, In fact they will steal each other's eggs. So the eggs get tossed back and forth between the two girls. but when I moved them, besides getting EXTREMELY UPSET with me, they got right up and went back to the original spot, they didn't want any part of the Safety home. They went to there spot and sat without eggs being under them... So i was trying to think of a way to close them in but I can't because they are in such a small spot right now, I can hardley get to themself.. they aren't in there nesting boxes nope they are on the ground, next to the boxes in this little tight spot..

Then I thought OK don't punish the girls get the criminal The rhode island red, well we are in the process of building 3 coops and they are getting close to being done but they are not tall enough yet. The Rhode island red would be able to fly over the fence and escape.. I think I'm gonna have to lock up the Rhode Island red in the bunny coop until the babies are born. The worst part of all this is the Third mommy hatched out a baby and sure enough, it's gone, i beleive it was the Rhode Island Red. She's such a sick chicken. She seems to eat EVERYTHING. She has plenty of food, plenty of water, I give them crack corn in the morning only for a treat and yet she's got to do this.. Very frustrating... Why must she make my life difficult? I'm wondering if she is doing this because she's lacking something in her diet or is this just a bad habit of her and it's not possible to break her from it? She is Free range, so If i lock her up in the bunny cage, she will NOT be happy with me.. LOL..

5. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Good idea---off to the bunny cage. Put a sign on it: "Chicken Jail". Hope you get eggs hatched. Good luc

6. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio

HA HA HA I like that Chicken Jail, What do you think her sentence should be? 6 months, a year?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  7. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio

I don't think I could do that, after all I had rescued her, the previous owner had over 20 chickens and their neighbors dog was killing them. She ended up with 6 left and asked if I would take them so I saved her from being the next dog toy.. I have had her now for about 2 months before this habit of her's started to kick in. I think I will try the "chicken Jail" cage for a while to see if she settles down. I'm curious to see if she will eat her own eggs. If she continues this, I will see seriously think about getting rid of her. I would hate too, seeing how I just rescued her but I can't allow this nonsense to continue.

8. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Could this be something she's lacking in her diet?? Should I tried cooking up some scrambled eggs and mashing up some eggs shells to give to her, perhaps if I did that she would get full enough to leave the other 3 girls alone? What do you think?

9. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    Will a chicken eat the egg and the shell without leaving a trace?

10. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    YES, Mine, I believe, ate a just born baby chick..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by