She Was Laying - Where's Her Eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Reyvaughn, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I have a Tetra Tint that started laying about 5 weeks ago. Well, I actually had two. For some reason these Tetra Tints haven't been very healthy and I lost my first one early on - around 8wks. I lost the second one right after they began laying. I noticed she was pale in the comb and wasn't as active. I knew she wasn't going to make it, and she died overnight. Now the one that's left... We named her Sailfish because, well, a Tetra is a fish and she has a Leghorn tail that looks like a sail. Sailfish was laying everyday up until a couple of days after the other Tetra Tint died. It's been about 2 1/2 weeks since I've gotten an egg from her. I've checked numerous to see if she was egg bound and there is just nothing there. I found out one of my Red Sexlinks had a hidden stash of eggs, so we decided to go search for any others - mainly to see if Sailfish was hiding her eggs. She is my only white egg layer, so I know she isn't laying - just for clarification. I sat the other day and watched the girls lay their eggs. Sure enough, there's Sailfish in the nest box around 10am. She goes through the actions like she's laying for a good 1/2 an hour and then leaves the nest boxes. Guess what? No egg. She has no hidden stash. I don't know what's going on.

Can a pullet start laying and then all of a sudden stop? What is going on with her?

[​IMG]

ETA: I followed her after laying in the nest box and watched her for a good hour after she went through the actions of laying. She did nothing by forage.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Could she be eating the eggs?

3. TnChickHen

TnChickHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    TN
    She could be going through a period of depression. I have a RIR that hasn't lain in over a month now, lost her sister around that time to a pretty bad crop stasis and among other things. How hot is it there in PA?? I know here in TN it's quite HOT and our little Cochin JUST started laying last week again after about a 3 week dry spell. We have a BO that is 23 weeks that hasn't even thought about laying yet. I would look into depression for her. give her a little bit longer, I wouldn't go much more than a week longer, and if nothing changes, contact a vet. Good luck!

4. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I did think that maybe she was eating the eggs, but the other 5 are there daily. You'd think if she was eating hers, she'd go through and eat the others - she does have the chance to. I just put 5 wood dummy eggs in the nest box, just in case someone is eating eggs.

I had also thought about depression. Yeah, it's been hot and we did lose some production during this heat, but everyone else has been back on track for a week+.

I think I found a soft shelled egg on the shed floor tonight - white. So, I am hoping it was and she's going to get back to it soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by