1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

She was really tough

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Jan 13, 2009.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    We had a polish that got killed by a hawk. The hawk did not get the spoils of his kill so we butchered her. (dh saw the kill it wasn't road kill)

We froze her and this past week had her for dinner. She was tough!

Breed, manner of death? Why was she so tough?

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Did you let the meat rest before you froze it? Also, soaking in brine helps. If she was an older hen (over 16 weeks) it would have been best to slow cook the meat.

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Before you freeze a bird you have to let it cure in the refrigerator for 2-4 days. If more the 6 months old I would stew it anyways.

Also if a bird dies in a panic that too will toughen the bird. Has to do with the adrenaline or something.

Matt

**Edited to fix spelling**

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  4. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I have heard of hanging deer to bleed out and cure, but chicken?? I didn't know that one. In the fridge before freezing? Does it need to hang or anything?

I had heard the one about panic too, but DH says this poor bird never knew what hit her the hawk swooped in from no where and everyone ran but the polish - she probably couldn't see it coming because of her topnot - and the hawk plucked her head off in one swoop. No struggle no fear, not a bad way to go really.

5. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    I thought you were going to say she was tough like "brave" and she put up a good fight with the hawk! [​IMG]

6. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    I'm thinking age also. the older ones need a crockpot or chicken and dumplings and that kind of cooking.
    they don't just roast well.....I had my share of tough..LOL

7. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Quote:No but the rooster sure earned his keep that day and lost a few tail feathers in the bargain! But, then he ran and hid abandoning the rest of the flock!

As for her: I chopped her up and put her ina casserole that cooks at a low temp for a long time...... I was disguising it and hoping for tender. [​IMG]

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Achicken more than 12 - 14 weeks old will be tough. One that has had plenty of yard time and has done alot of running, exercising and forgaing is going to be tougher.

Older birds are really best for stewing. Long and low and lots of rich liquids to soak in.

9. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I have WHAT in my yard? :

I have heard of hanging deer to bleed out and cure, but chicken?? I didn't know that one. In the fridge before freezing? Does it need to hang or anything?

No, you don't have to hang it. We "rest" ours completely immersed in salted water, in a pot, and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of days (for older birds, less for the younger ones). Then we either freeze it or cook it in the crock pot.​

10. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:No, you don't have to hang it. We "rest" ours completely immersed in salted water, in a pot, and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of days (for older birds, less for the younger ones). Then we either freeze it or cook it in the crock pot.

When you cool/rest in salt water, can you still brine later, or would it make the meat too salty?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by