1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

She was sitting on eggs and I didn’t know

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Chickening101, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Chickening101

Chickening101 Chirping

Apr 20, 2017
    Los Angeles CA
    My hen got into a pool equipment area in my yard, and was unusually comfortable....I looked under her, and there were three eggs! :D I had no idea where they were from, because she had only been laying for three days and had layer eggs in the nesting box each of those days, which I took, so I know the eggs weren’t hers. The only other possibility could be one of my other hens, but she had also only been laying for three days and I had taken all the eggs she’d layed. This is a mystery!
    Sadly, I had to take the eggs away, because they were not fertile(don’t have roosters) and i don’t want her to go crazy broody trying to hatch those eggs.
    This is so funny!
    Open to comments :thumbsup

Xx chickening101

2. Wilmer Gehman

Wilmer Gehman Songster

Jun 7, 2017
    :yuckyuck that happened to me once! We found 4 eggs in my neighbors bush! I didnt think my chickens would wander that far away from the rest of the flock. The eggs were smaller and blue so i thot it was some kind of dove. Then, one afternoon i couldn't find one of my chickens that lays blue eggs. I look all over and she was nowhere to be found! That was Easter. I thot somebody grabbed her because she is so friendly. Finally under a huge bush by our house, I found her! She was sitting on 8 eggs! So now I know who the mystery eggs belong to!....i'd better keep an eye on that rascal!:lol:

3. Poultry keeper12

Poultry keeper12 Chirping

Mar 27, 2018
    :lau same with me!!

4. KDMdesigns

KDMdesigns Songster

May 4, 2016
    Dallas TX
    LOL love reading about these mystery nests, hens are mysterious like that with their eggs.. If she is broody, which I encountered with one of mine last summer I tested her out with them dummy eggs until I could hunt down some fertile eggs for her since we also didn't have a roo... She was soo happy with her fertile eggs and hatched about 5 out of the 7..

5. Poultry keeper12

Poultry keeper12 Chirping

Mar 27, 2018
    Way too go!!:celebrate

drumstick diva and Chickening101 like this.
  6. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager 7 Years

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    Chickens are very silly!

drumstick diva and Chickening101 like this.
  7. Chickening101

Chickening101 Chirping

Apr 20, 2017
    Los Angeles CA
    LOL

drumstick diva likes this.
  8. Wilmer Gehman

Wilmer Gehman Songster

Jun 7, 2017
    agreed! They each have their own funny personalities! :DI have one that is a wanderer. if i let them out, she travels through half the neighborhood before i realize she's gone!:th......well, not quite that far.:cool:

9. Chickening101

Chickening101 Chirping

Apr 20, 2017
    Los Angeles CA
    :(
    Haha that's so funny...still so confused on how three eggs ended up in the pool equipment area...will forever be a mystery :D
    Xx chickening101

drumstick diva and ronott1 like this.
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member 8 Years

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    She really needs some fertile eggs to hatch - then she'll be happy.

Chickening101 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: