she wont leave the nest box. HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Iheartchicks<3:), Jun 30, 2011.

1. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    She has been in there for 2 days. I have kicked her out to eat and stuff but she goes back. I took the eggs out, so she isnt sitting on any. And she hasnt layed in 2 days. Whats wrong with her? she gets ticked when i try to go near her, but when i hold her, she calms down. She doesnt feel big or bloated so i dont think she is egg bound, but im not sure. Whats wrong?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  2. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Sounds like she's gone broody!

3. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    You got a BROODY hen [​IMG]

4. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Quote:tHERE IS NO EGGS THO! should i put some under her?

5. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Give her some time, she's likely working on a few - how old is she?

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Iheartchicks<3[​IMG] :

Sure, why not? Just make sure they're fertile.​

7. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    about a year, i got her in august. (of 2010) The eggs arent fertilized (the ones she produces, i got rid of my rooster) so should i buy her some fertalized ones?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  8. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA

Sure, why not? Just make sure they're fertile.

She's persistant. She has been doing this for 5 days now. But she hasnt layed in 2. And she lays EVERYDAY and she has for like, 6 months.

9. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    yes broody hens can be broody without eggs it won't hurt her. The downside is that while she is feeling broody you will get no eggs from her. So If you want chicks from any of your hens put some of their eggs under her. Thats what I did, hen didn't care one bit as long as they were eggs. I have had two of my hens do this to me this year. Made it work for me though, I got some chicks from hens that didn't want anything to do with eggs!

10. mccabe

mccabe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Aloha Iheartchicks. Your hen is indeed broody. A fever develops in the breast and she must set. Whether you take her eggs; whether you move her; no matter. This is nature. If you have fertile eggs and want chicks, slip them under her and be patient for 21 days. If she is in a coop with others, they may add to her brood. I use a soft pencil and X the ones under my setting hen, X each additional one for a few days, then collect any laid after that. They are easy to tell apart. The eggs under the hen for a few days will become very shiny. The new ones have a rougher texture. Make sure she is safe, has fresh water and food close by, and can stretch, dust, move about. She will leave the nest a short time each day to allow the eggs to cool a bit. When she returns and settles in, she will turn them naturally. If another hen settles in to lay in the nest, the broody one will wait until she leaves.

If you do not want chicks, or have no fertile eggs, you have two options. Leave her be. Take any eggs deposited by others. She will eventually return to normal. Or gently move her off the nest each day and put her out. She will fuss and try to return, but the fever will eventually break and she will go back to laying. All is well. She is a healthy hen doing her work. You sound like a very watchful and good owner. j mccabe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by