She won't let me hold her

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SurbFarmGirl, Nov 19, 2015.

1. SurbFarmGirl

SurbFarmGirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2015
    I posted yesterday that my Gerty girl hasn't laid an egg in about 2 weeks. Everyone said it's probably because she isn't getting enough light .... but my other 3 are still laying.

Would there be a reason that she suddenly won't let me hold her? I used to hold her daily ... she'd squat and I'd pick her up. Now ... she runs :( I hate it. I don't know if the above have anything to do with one another ... but I don't know how to fix it.

Any advice on what I can do? They are on layer feed ... should I get her more protein?

2. shodack

shodack Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2015
    central NY
    I've read that being touched during a molt can be very uncomfortable for them. If she is molting it would explain both issues.

3. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    X2, are you sure your hen isn't molting?

4. SurbFarmGirl

Apr 9, 2015
    She is only 7 months old. I haven't noticed much feather loss ... though above her tail she has mostly down looking feathers but I think that's pretty common for Easter Egger ladies. Could she be molting?

5. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    I doubt she's molting, but it is possible. most pullets won't molt their first year, but some will, so that is a possibility. Other than that, I'm not sure. It's possible now that she's mature she has become more aloof. Is it possible that there could be something wrong with her? I would catch her up and do an exam, check for lice, mites, injury, etc.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  6. SurbFarmGirl

Apr 9, 2015
    She was laying ... up til about 2 weeks ago. :( Steadily .... an egg a day.

7. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Do you think that she may be in the early stages of broodiness perhaps?

CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by