She won't let the "babies" eat!

Hamptons06

Songster
10 Years
Oct 26, 2009
North Atlanta
I have a 2yo RIR, Ruby. She has become my fave.
love.gif
I thought my BO hen would be because she's just so fluffy, but Ruby comes to me when I call her. She loves when I pet her. The problem I am having with her is she is so mean to the 20w old babies (6 of them). One of the RIR and both of the LBs are bigger than she is but she pecks at them.... keeps them away from the food when she's around it. Just overall mean. I push her away when I'm around and see her acting like that. I know that she is trying to let them know she's the queen but at what point will it stop? I haven't seen any blood drawn but they have also been free ranging lately. They will run away when she's around. They are about to all be put in a run and I'm concerned.

OK - I don't have alot of experience, but I read that you need more than one feeder when this is going on so the babes can get to the food. They are going to establish their pecking order no matter what you do - just make sure they can get to food and water and have some places they can get away (boxes, roosts, etc) so they are not out in the open at her mercy all the time.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Exactly! Extra feed/water stations and lots of room go a long way to succesfull integration. Sometimes a long lasting treat like a hanging cabbage can provide a good distraction too. Your "babies" are pretty much grown up so she shouldn't cause them any real harm and things will start to sort themselves out pretty soon.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Exactly! Extra feed/water stations and lots of room go a long way to succesfull integration. Sometimes a long lasting treat like a hanging cabbage can provide a good distraction too. Your "babies" are pretty much grown up so she shouldn't cause them any real harm and things will start to sort themselves out pretty soon.

We did that after the 2nd day. Maybe I just want a happy lil flock.
tongue.png
Good advice.... thanks!

Back
Top Bottom