she won't stop crowing...this is serious....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zumachicks, Aug 16, 2008.

1. zumachicks

zumachicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2008
    hi all - i posted a few weeks back about my little bantam hen that won't stop crowing at 5:30am...i've tried separating her at night and letting her sleep in the shed - didn't work...i've tried giving them even more free range time, still doesn't work...my neighbors are ready to kill me (they've told me) and this morning was the last straw for my hubby...what do i do??????????!!!!!!! she's two years old and my newbies are about 4 months old...and they are SO much bigger than her...i don't want to give her away, but i'm at my wits end...any advice would be welcome...and i have all hens, no roos....

2. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

have u tried crating her at night?

3. zumachicks

Mar 12, 2008
    you mean in the coop with the others??? no, i haven't...should that work????

4. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    There is really no way that you can stop a bird from crowing. The only thing you can do is keep them in a sound-proof or sound resistant buiding until it is acceptable to let them out. I am confused. When a hen crows it is not nearly as loud or long as a rooster so should easily be muffled by a shed. They normally do not do it all morning like roosters will. You are sure that this IS a hen, right? Actually got eggs from her?

Richard

5. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    A hen that crows?? What?[​IMG]

6. zumachicks

Mar 12, 2008
    Quote:hi - yes, most definitely a hen...get eggs daily...i live on two acres, but her crow is LOUD and last for about 5 minutes...and at 5:30am, that's an eternity...the shed is a bit soundproof, but closer to the house, so that's not gunna work...you have me thinking though, the only rooster we had in the hood has mysteriously disappeared...about three weeks ago....hhhmmmmm

7. zumachicks

Mar 12, 2008
    Quote:yes, can you believe it...i posted a few weeks back and apparently they crow when there is no roo and want to let everyone else know she is the boss...unbelievable...this is exactly what i was trying to avoid...so i did not get a roo...[​IMG]

8. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    Oh darn..i hope my girls dont decide to do that. yikes....

9. zumachicks

Mar 12, 2008
    don't worry sunnydee - apparently, it does not happen often and my little bantam is a bit rambuncious (sp)....she has done this once before, but stopped after a few days, this seems to be lasting much longer...sigh....

10. Hiedi

Hiedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Upstate SC
    Quote:I was thinking the same thing. [​IMG] I did not know that a hen could crow. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by