Shed conversion- need help!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rachelashley37, Mar 18, 2015.

1. rachelashley37

rachelashley37 New Egg

Mar 18, 2015
    Hi! I'm very new to this and am getting my first 3 chicks in a few days! We are planning to convert this shed into a coop. I plan to build a ladder coming down from the window leading to the run then just add a nesting area and a perch inside the shed. We will also make a few modifications to patch any holes to make it a bit more secure. My concern is that this she's is made of metal and siding. I don't seem to see other coops made out of this so I'm wondering if there is a reason! Any input would be greatly appreciated and welcomed! These will be true backyard chickens as we are smack in the middle of the city in a neighborhood! [​IMG]

2. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    My concern would be how hot does it get in the summer? The one window may not be enough ventilation.

3. rachelashley37

rachelashley37 New Egg

Mar 18, 2015
    We can have a few weeks of it being around 100 here. Mostly it stays in the high 90s. We could cut an additional window id that sounds to hot!

4. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    It has lots of potential! As Odelia noted above, heat and ventilation are concerns. They will be too hot with those temperatures, so cutting additional openings will probably be necessary.
    Welcome to chickens! :)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  5. rachelashley37

rachelashley37 New Egg

Mar 18, 2015
    Wonderful. We will work on extra openings. Thank you all for the feedback!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by