1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shed coop and dog kennel run... UPDATED PICS

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RiddleMe, Jun 6, 2011.

1. RiddleMe

RiddleMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Wanted to share my 10x12 shed/coop build. The below pics are the planned layout and current status. Still have to finish the run, paint and trim the coop, and add any final details, but I'm getting there. The entire process to date can be seen on my page at https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=79408.

I came up with the design after many, many hours of research, both on here wrt chicken housing requirements and every possible resource for general shed building I could find. I know I've made some mistakes along the way, but overall, I'm happy with the progress and think the final product should do the job. And, I've got plenty of extra space for chicken math!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  2. confusedturtle

confusedturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Beautiful, it looks like it will be a very nice coop [​IMG]

3. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Great job!

My coop looks similar to yours; however, mine is only 8x12.

My next coop will be larger to accommodate a little storage area.

I love your huge double doors!

[​IMG]

4. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Very nice!

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice coop! [​IMG]

6. RiddleMe

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Quote:Thanks! I don't even remember why I went with 10x12 at this point, I think it worked with the lengths of 2x8 and # of sheets of OSB I had lying around. Made for a little more cutting, but... I was going to go with a standard 3 foot door and a straight interior wall, but for some reason at the very last minute, ie while I was framing the front wall, I decided I wanted double doors for better access. Some time after that I decided I wanted to try building them as dutch doors, and this is what resulted. Not perfectly square and the tiniest bit of rubbing when the right side is opened, but it works.

7. RiddleMe

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    A couple of updated pics. I finished the run today and let everyone out for their first taste of sunshine and dirt. My three ring leaders were the first ones out and down, as expected - Sage (black sex-link girl), Dina (EE girl) and Pip (Gold Campine roo). It didn't hurt that I "baited" the ramp with chick feed. Some of the girls came outside but just walked up and down on the ramp and about half decided it was safer to just watch from the pop door. We'll see if we get more takers tomorrow!

I still have to finishing painting and trimming out the rest of the coop, but now that it's fully functional, I'm taking a little break!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Quote:Looking good [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by